Ainsworth is a township, village, and ecclesiastical parish, in the parish of Middleton, from which place it is 7 miles north - west, 3½ south - west from Bury and 2½ north east from Bolton - le - Moors, in the South - Eastern division of the county, hundred of Salford, Bury union and county court district, rural deanery of Bolton, archdeaconry and diocese of Manchester, situated on the old road from Bolton to Bury. The Liverpool, Bolton and Bury railway passes through the township on the south - west, and has a station at Bradley Fold. Christ Church is a handsome stone structure, comprising chancel, nave, aisles, south transept, and square tower with clock and 1 bell; in the interior is an organ. The register dates from the year 1635. The living is a vicarage, yearly value £136, with residence, in the gift of the rector of Middleton, and held by the Rev. Robert Macdonnell Evanson, M.A. of Trinity College, Dublin, and Oxford. Here are Presbyterian and Unitarian chapels, and a National school. The Earl of Wilton is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The soil is chiefly light; subsoil, gravel. The chief crops are wheat, oats, potatoes, and pasture. The area is 1,309 acres; gross estimated rental £6,759; rateable value, £5,943; the population in 1871 was 1,854.
(2) Post Office Directory of Lancashire Excluding Manchester 1873