Alkrington is a township, in the parish of Prestwich, hundred of Salford, union and county court district of Oldham, purely agricultural, 5 miles north from Manchester and about half-a-mile from Middleton. It forms part of the ecclesiastical district of Tonge-cum-Alkrington. Alkrington hall, the seat of Mrs. Lees, is a noble brick building, situated of an eminence, and is surrounded by a well – wooded park of 80 acres; it commands a fine view of the surrounding country. Mrs. Lees is lady of the manor. The principal landowners are Mrs. Lees & John & Joseph Lees. The area is 798 acres; gross estimated rental, £2,158; rateable value, £1,710; the population in 1871 was 388; the population of the ecclesiastical district is 5,503.
(2) Post Office Directory of Lancashire Excluding Manchester 1873