Ardwick is a township, forming the S.S.E. suburb of Manchester, in the parish, parliamentary and corporate borough of Manchester, and forms, with Beswick, a ward of the latter. Number of acres 496. A Roman nodule has been found here. Here is one episcopal place of worship, St. Thomas's, consecrated 1741, enlarged 1777, 1831, annual value of curacy £294.-The dissenters have 3 chapels, Independents, Tipping-street; and Wesleyans, Chancery-lane, and New Islington.-There is a public cemetery, covering 8 acres, cost £18,000, opened 1838. The regulation and improvement of the streets are vested in police commissioners, by an act of parliament, passed 1825, the expenditure of whom in 1839 was £1,576. In 1832 there were 3 cotton mills. The Manchester and Birmingham Railway passes here. In the latter part of the last century Ardwick was a retired village, separated from Manchester by a mile of Fields, now it is a portion of the town. Ardwick green is an elegant suburb, decorated by an artificial lake. In 1773-4 the houses were 47; 1831, 1,033.-In 1773-4 the population was 242; 1801, 1,762; 1811, 2,763; 1821, 3,545; 1831, 5,524. There is a partially endowed school.-In 1834, 2 sunday schools, scholars 1,141; dame 10, common 8, superior private and boarding 10, scholars 603. The only public institution is the Ardwick and Ancoats dispensary, opened 1829. The annual value of the property of the district in 1815 was £11,097; 1829, £13,004; 1840, 38,700. Several beds of magnesian limestone, remarkable for setting firmly under water, prevail here : fossil fish have been discovered.
(5) A Statistical Sketch of the County Palatine of Lancaster 1841 by Edwin Butterworth.