BARTON - UPON - IRWELL

1830

BARTON - UPON - IRWELL

Barton - upon - Irwell, a township in the parish of Eccles, hundred of Salford, 5 miles W. from Manchester. Inhabitants 7977. Near Barton is the celebrated aqueduct which conveys the duke of Bridgewaters Canal across the river Irwell. It consists of three arches of great strength and thickness, the centre one sixty - three feet wide, and thirty - eight feet above the surface of the water. The novelty of the design which exhibited the spectacle, never seen before in England, of one vessel sailing over the top of another, excited universal admiration. But this aqueduct has been since far surpassed by that of the Lancaster Canal over the river Lune, and the fabric has certainly been over - praised. It is much inferior in picturesque beauty to the old bridge over the Irwell, which runs parallel with it at a small distance below. In this township is Trafford Park, the seat of T. J. Trafford, esq., whose family have been seated here for many ages; the house is situated on the bank of the Irwell, and is a modern brick structure cased with stucco. Trafford Moss also in this township was a large tract containing 500 acres of barren peat bog, the greater part of which is now under cultivation, owing to the spirited exertions of Mr. Roscoe and of Mr. Wakefield, who in 1793, undertook to drain and improve it. By their judicious arrangements this heretofore useless soil is now converted into arable and pasture ground, producing abundant crops of grain, and potatoes of peculiar excellence.

BOYSNAPE

Boysnape, a hamlet in the township of Barton, parish of Eccles, hundred of Salford, 8 miles W.S.W. from Manchester.

CADISHEAD

Cadishead, a hamlet in the township of Barton - upon - Irwell, parish of Eccles, hundred of Salford, 11 miles W.S.W. from Manchester.

CHORLTON FOLD

Chorlton Fold, a hamlet in the township of Barton - upon - Irwell, parish of Eccles, hundred of Salford, 5 miles W.N.W. from Manchester.

CROFT BANK

Croft Bank, a hamlet in the township of Barton, parish of Eccles, hundred of Salford, 6 miles W.S.W. from Manchester.

CROSS BANK

Cross Bank, a hamlet in the township of Barton, parish of Eccles, hundred of Salford, 6 miles W.S.W. from Manchester.

DAVY HULME

Davy Hulme, a hamlet in the township of Barton, parish of Manchester, hundred of Salford, 7 miles W.S.W. from Manchester. Davy Hulme Hall is the seat of R.J.J. Norreys, esq.

DUMPLINGTON

Dumplington, a hamlet in the township of Barton, parish of Eccles, hundred of Salford, 6 miles W.S.W. from Manchester.

FOX HILL

Fox Hill, a hamlet in the township of Barton upon Irwell, parish of Eccles, hundred of Salford, 6 miles W. from Manchester.

IRLAM

Irlam, a hamlet in the township of Barton, parish of Eccles, hundred of Salford, 8 miles W.S.W. from Manchester. At this place is a ferry over the river Irwell. A mile to the south is the hamlet of Irlam Green.

LOSTOCK

Lostock, a hamlet in the township of Barton, parish of Eccles, hundred of Salford, 4 miles S.W. from Manchester.

MONTON

Monton, a hamlet in the township of Barton, parish of Eccles, hundred of Salford, 5 miles W. from Manchester.

MOSS HOUSE

Moss House, a hamlet in the township of Barton, parish of Eccles, hundred of Salford, 5 miles S.W. from Worsley. This place borders on the western edge of Chat Moss.

PATRICROFT

Patricroft, a hamlet in the township of Barton, parish of Eccles, hundred of Salford, 5 miles W. from Manchester.

PEEL GREEN

Peel Green, a hamlet in the township of Barton, parish of Eccles, hundred of Salford, 5 miles W. from Manchester.

WILDERSPOOL

Wilderspool, a hamlet in the township of Barton, parish of Eccles, hundred of Salford, 5 miles W.S.W. from Manchester. At this place resided for some time Thomas Highs, the ingenious inventor of the spinning jenny and the roller frame.

WINTON

Winton, a hamlet in the township of Barton, parish of Eccles, hundred of Salford, 5 miles W. from Manchester.

LITTLE WOOLDEN

Woolden, Little, a hamlet in the township of Barton, parish of Eccles, hundred of Salford, 7 miles E.N.E. from Warrington. Woolden Hall near this place is the seat of I.A. Borron esq.

(3) The New Lancashire Gazetteer or Topographical Dictionary 1830