Blackrod, a chapelry in the parish of Bolton - le - Moors, hundred of Salford, 4½ miles S.E. from Chorley. Inhabitants 2436. This village is an insulated part of the parish of Bolton. Mr. Whitaker, with his usual precipitancy, fixed at Blackrod the Roman station named Coccium by Antoninus, but this position has been amply refuted by his namesake Dr. Whitaker, in his introduction to the History of Whalley, who determines that station to have been Ribchester. Blackrod has a better chance to be considered the Rigodunum of Ptolemy, could it be proved to have been a Roman station at all. Here is a grammer school, founded in 1568 by John Holme; it has an exhibition to Pembroke College. The school house within a few years has been rebuilt. Arley Hall, in this township, is the seat of J. C. Johnson, esq.; and here is an extensive morass called Red Moss.
Crowsham, a hamlet in the township of Blackrod, parish of Bolton, hundred of Salford, 4 miles S.E. from Chorley.
Green Barn, a hamlet in the township of Blackrod, parish of Bolton, hundred of Salford, 5 miles S.E. from Chorley.
(3) The New Lancashire Gazetteer or Topographical Dictionary 1830