Broughton, a township in the parish of Manchester, and parliamentary borough of Salford. Number of acres 1,338 : 1½ miles N.N.W. of Manchester. There are traces of a small Roman fortress. Here is a new church, St. John the Evangelist's, built 1836-7, cost £6,000. The Wesleyans have a chapel. The township is lighted and watched by direction of a rate-payers' committee. There are silk and flax manufactories : and numerous rural villas. In 1801 the populationwas 866; 1811, 825; 1821, 880; 1831, 1,589. In 1835 the day schools were 8, sunday 1, scholars 467. In Higher Broughton are the Zoological Gardens, upwards of 15 acres in extent, opened 1838. On Kersall-moor Manchester races take place. The value of property in 1815 was £5,044; 1829, £14,528. The boulder stones near Kersall are remarkable.
(5) A Statistical Sketch of the County Palatine of Lancaster 1841 by Edwin Butterworth.