BUTTERWORTH

1830

BELFIELD

Belfield, a hamlet in the township of Butterworth, parish of Rochdale, hundred of Salford, 1 mile E. from Rochdale. Here was formerly the ancient house of Belfield, which formed a part of the possessions of the knights of St. John of Jerusalem.

BLACKSTONE EDGE

Blackstone Edge, a range of hills which separates the hundred of Salford from Yorkshire. This mountainous chain extends northwards to Scotland; it is a bleak and desolate region, which has sometimes been called the Back Bone of England, at other times the English Appennines.

BUTTERWORTH

Butterworth, a township in the parish of Rochdale, hundred of Salford, 4 miles E. from Rochdale. Inhabitants 5554. In the north-east of this township is Butterworth Moor, a dreary district contiguous to Blackstone Edge.

BUTTERWORTH HALL

Butterworth Hall, a hamlet in the preceding township.

CHERRY CLOUGH YATE

Cherry Clough Yate, a hamlet in the township of Butterworth, parish of Rochdale, hundred of Salford, 5 miles E. from Rochdale.

CLEGG, LITTLE, AND CLEGGS WOOD

Clegg, Little, and Cleggs Wood, two hamlets in the township of Butterworth, parish of Rochdale, hundred of Salford, 2 miles N.E. from Rochdale. Near this village is Clegg Hall, a strong square ediface, apparently of the age of James I. It was built by the Asheton family.

HAUGH

Haugh, a hamlet in the township of Butterworth, parish of Rochdale, hundred of Salford, 4 miles S.E. from Rochdale.

HOLLINGSWORTH

Hollingsworth, a hamlet in the township of Butterworth, parish of Rochdale, hundred of Salford, 3 miles E.N.E. from Manchester. In this village is a spaciousreservoir for the supply of the Rochdale Canal.

LADY HOUSES

Lady Houses, a hamlet in the township of Butterworth, parish of Rochdale, hundred of Salford, 3 miles S.E. from Rochdale.

OGDEN

Ogden, a hamlet in the township of Butterworth, parish of Rochdale, hundred of Salford, 3 miles S.E. from Rochdale.

ROCH

Roch, a river which rises near Blackstone Edge, and, proceeding in a south-westerly course, receives the tribute of several small streams, when, passing by Rochdale, it arrives within a mile of Bury, and turning to the south it soon after falls into the Irwell at Radcliffe.

SCHOFIELD

Schofield, a hamlet in the township of Butterworth, parish of Rochdale, hundred of Salford, 3 miles E.N.E. from Rochdale.

WHITAKER

Whitaker, a hamlet in the township of Butterworth, parish of Rochdale, hundred of Salford, 3 miles N.E. from Rochdale.

WINDY HILL

Windy Hill, a hamlet in the township of Butterworth, parish of Rochdale, hundred of Salford, 5 miles E. from Rochdale.

(3) The New Lancashire Gazetteer or Topographical Dictionary 1830