CHORLTON - ON - MEDLOCK
Chorlton-on-Medlock, formerly designated Chorlton Row, stretches to the south of and is divided from Manchester by the river Medlock, it is a township, in the parish, parliamentary and corporate borough of Manchester. The number of acres is 632. There is no manorial court, and Chorlton hall is no longer existing. Half a century ago this place was quite in the country, now the greater part of it is an exceedingly populous town, owing to the vicinage of Manchester. There are 3 episcopal churches, St. Luke's, built prior to 1804; All Saints', a pleasing structure in Grosvenor-square, consecrated April 12, 1820, annual value of curacy £107; St. Saviour's, consecrated November 11, 1836.-There are 8 dissenters chapels, 2 Wesleyan, Grosvenor-street, Oxford-road; 1 Unitarian, Upper Brook-street, an elegant edifice, cost £8,000; Independent, Rusholme-road; Wesleyan Association, Grosvenor-street; General Baptists, George-street; Primitive Methodists, Jenkinson-street; and Evangelical Friends, Grosvenor-street. In Rusholme road is a large cemetery for all sects formed 1821. An act empowering certain inhabitants to regulate and improve the district passed 1822-3, amended 1832, when the constables, and ninety persons elected by the rate-payers, were constituted police commissioners. The township is in two wards. This township contains many elegant mansions. There are upwards of 12 cotton mills, one of which employs 1,600 hands. In 1836 the mills here employed 4,327 hands. The number of houses in 1773-4 was 46; 1831, 3,972 : it is hence obvious that the increase of population has been extremely rapid.-In 1773-4 the inhabitants amounted to 228; 1801, 675; 1811, 2,581; 1821, 8,209; 1831, 20,569. In 1825 there were 3 sunday schools, in 1834 6, scholars 2,249 : at the latter period 27 dame schools, 33 common, 45 superior private and boarding, total scholars 2,535. Here is a Dispensary, established 1827; the Manchester College for protestant dissenters, re-established 1840; a Lyceum for educational purposes, formed 1838; a Christian Institute for popular instruction, commenced 1840; and a neat Town Hall erected 1831. The yearly value of the property of the township in 1815 was £19,484; 1829, £66,645; 1840, £110,580.
(5) A Statistical Sketch of the County Palatine of Lancaster 1841 by Edwin Butterworth