1538

1538
Manchester visited by John Leland, the antiquary, who thus describes it: “Mancestre, on the south side of the Irwel river, stondeth in Salfordshiret, and is the fairest, best buildid, quikkest, and most populus tounne of all Lancastreshire, yet is in hit one Paroch Chirch, but is a College, and almost thorowhowt doble ilyd ex quadrato lapide durissimo, wherof a goodly quarre is hard by the towne. There be divers stone bridges in the towne, but the best of iii arches is over Irwel. This bridge dividith Manchestre from Salford, the wich is a large suburbe to Manchestre. On this bridge is a praty little chapel. . . . And almost ii fiyte shottes withowt the towne beneth on the same syde of Irwel yet be scene the dikes and fundations of Old Man Castel (Ould Manchester in Burton’s transcript of Leland’s MSS.) yn a ground now inclosid. The stones of the ruines of this castel were translatid towards making  of Briddges for the Toune.” (Itinerary.)

1538
Birch Chapel, Rusholme, built about this time, dedicated to St. James; registers commenced, 1752; roof raised and edifice lengthened, 1753; repairs, &c., 1803; improved and an organ added, 1811; new church erected, 1845-6, cost £4,300; consecrated, July, 1846; returned a district chapelry, 1850; constituted a rectory, 1854.(7)