1634

1634
Sacred Trinity Church, Salford, founded by Humphrey Booth, a prosperous merchant of Salford. Hollinworth gives the following account:—
“Humfrey Booth of Salford, laid the foundation of Trinity chappell in
Salford, and of his owne cost (save that about two hundred pounds was giuen by seuerall persons :—Sir Alexander Radcliffe, of Oardsall, twenty pounds; Henry Wigley, twenty pounds; Robert Pendleton, twenty or forty pounds; Charles Haworth, ten pounds; John Hartley, twelve pounds; John Gaskell five pounds; George Scholes, ten pounds; Ralph Bayley, five pounds; and others lesser summes;) did finish it, and endow it with twenty pounds lands per annum: the said Humfrey Booth, being, by God’s blessing on his trading, made rich, gaue allso to the poore of Salford, the first lands that he bought to the value of twenty pounds per annum, and payd it duely all his life time. Hee being in greate weakenesse, earnestly desired that hee might liue to see the chappell finished, which hee did, but immediately after the solemne dedication of it, by the Bishop of Chester, hee more apparently weakened, then hee earnestly begged that he might partake of the Lord’s Supper there, and then hee would not wish to liue longer. It pleased God to revive him in such a measure, as that hee was able to goe to the chappel constantly till hee was partaker of the supper (which could not bee done for some moneths after the consecration) in the chappell, and was neuer able to goe forth after, nor scarce to get home. Hee was a man just in his trading, generous in entertainment of any gentlemen of quality that came to the towne, though meere strangers to him, bountifull to the church and poore, faithfull to his friend, and we hope, God gaue him both repentance for, and remission of his sinns, in the blood of Jesus.” (7)