20th January Friday
Mr. Joseph Harrop died 20th January, aged 67. He was a native of Manchester, and a printer and bookseller, as well as proprietor of the Manchester Mercury. He was succeeded in business by his son, James Harrop.(7)

High floods in the Irwell did considerable damage in January.(7)

6th February Monday
James Robinson was married to Ann Hilton, at St. John’s Church, by the Rev. John Clowes, February 6. This was the first marriage celebrated in that church, notwithstanding the right granted and confirmed thirty-five years before, by the Act of Parliament on which the church was founded.(7)

22nd February Wednesday
Mr. Thomas Furnival died 22nd February, aged 66. He was the governor of the House of Correction, Hunt’s Bank.(7)

23rd March Friday
44 George III. cap. 9. Act for enabling the Company of Proprietors of the Rochdale Canal more effectually to provide for the discharge of their debts, and to complete the whole of the works to be executed by them in pursuance of the several Acts passed for making and maintaining the said canal. March 23.(7)

24th March Saturday
The Hay Market was fixed in Bridgewater Street, and the Shudehill Potato Market removed to St. John’s Market, March 24. The last was afterwards established in Smithfield Market and Oldham Road, adjoining the Lancashire and Yorkshire Goods Station.(7)

2nd April  Monday
The Rev. John Clowes preached a sermon on the occasion of the presentation of colours to the First Battalion, Fourth Class, of Manchester and Salford Volunteers, April 2.(7)

12th April Thursday
There was a grand review of the local Volunteer Corps, consisting of 5,816 men, on Sale Moor, in Cheshire, by the Duke of Gloucester and his son, Prince William, April 12. The stand fell, and one person was killed. This is referred to in Mrs. Linnæus Banks’s Manchester Man.(7)

1st June Friday
Mr. Nathaniel Wood died 1st June, aged 60. He was a patten maker in Hanging Bridge, and was known by the nickname of “Patten Nat.” A wag wrote the following doggerel upon him at the public-house he used to frequent in Salford :-

“Patten Nat, he is so fat,
That he can hardly walk,
With sitting here, and drinking beer,
And hearing puppies talk.”

There is a portrait of Nat in the Scrap Album at Chetham’s College.(7)

4th June Monday
There was a public procession to Ardwick Green, to celebrate the birthday of George III., June 4.(7)

5th June Tuesday
44 George III. cap. 49. Act for more effectually amending the road leading from the New Wall, on the Parade, in the township of Castleton, in the parish of Rochdale, through Middleton, to the Mere Stone, in the township of Great Heaton, and to the town of Manchester. June 5.(7)

10th June Sunday
Mr. Ralph Whitehead died 10th June. He was the leader of the band of the Fourth Class of Manchester and Salford Volunteers.(7)

30th June Saturday
The British Volunteer, No. 1, June 30, was printed and published by James Harrop, in the Market Place, price 6d.(7)

9th July Monday
A duel was fought on Kersal Moor between Major Phillips, commander of the Manchester and Salford Cavalry, and Mr. Jones, a private in the same corps, July 9.(7)

18th July Wednesday
Rev. Dorning Rasbotham died 18th July. He was a fellow of the Collegiate Church.(7)

25th July Wednesday
Colonel John Leigh Philips and Colonel Joseph Hanson met upon Kersal Moor, to fight a duel, but were arrested and bound over to keep the peace, July 25.(7)

23st August Thursday
The roof of the Bible Christian Church, King Street, Salford, fell in, August 23.(7)

22nd September Saturday
Reverend John Johnson died 22nd September. He was born near Norwich and after hearing a sermon preached in one of the chapels of the Countess of Huntingdon he was one of the first six students ordained in the plan of secession. He settled at Wigan, and preached at Chorley and Bretherton where there was a riotous disturbance which led to a trial at the Quarter Sessions. He next moved to Tyldesley, and then visited America, and had a stiff legal contest, in which he was worsted, as to the Orphan House founded by Whitfield. Returning to England he was imprisoned for debts contracted in erecting the chapel at Tyldesley. He came to Manchester and secured St. George’s Church, which had been built for Anglican services, but had not been consecrated, and the builder having become insolvent it passed into the hands of the creditors. Here he gathered an appreciative audience. On one occasion he preached three sermons in Hebrew to the Jews of Manchester. He left various MS. works, some in shorthand, and published The Levite’s Journal; and a prospectus of a universal language. The Rev. Wilham Roby preached his funeral sermon, which was printed.(7)

30th September Sunday
The Duke of Gloucester, accompanied by his son, Prince William, inspected the whole volunteer force of the town at Ardwick; after which they paid a visit to Chetham’s Hospital, September 30.(7)

Colonel Cross’s Regiment, known as the St. George’s Corps of Manchester and Salford Volunteer Infantry, was disbanded in September.(7)

12th October Friday
Mr. George Lloyd, barrister, died October 12.(7)

10th November Saturday
Mr. Griffith Cheese died 10th November. He was organist of the Collegiate Church, and a musical composer. He is buried in the Collegiate Church.(7)

Mr. Gerard Bancks died in November. He was a printer and bookseller, and an officer in the volunteers.(7)

20th December Thursday
The Rochdale and Halifax Canal to Knot Mill was opened December 20.(7)

21st December Friday
The Rochdale Canal was opened. The committee came from Rochdale to Manchester in two boats, accompanied by the band of the 1st battalion of the Manchester and Salford Volunteers, and on the same evening a boat loaded with goods came from Rochdale to Manchester, and proceeded through to Liverpool next morning. December 21.(7)

The Manchester Guide, price 6d., by Joseph Aston. It gives a concise view of the state of the town at this date.(7)

The Rev. R. H. Whitelocke was appointed postmaster in the place of Mr. James Harrop, printer.(7)

St. Luke’s Chapel, Bedford Street, Chorlton-upon-Medlock, was built by the Rev. E. Smyth. It was consecrated 1858, and rebuilt 1865. It is now a parish and rectory.(7)

From returns it appears that in Manchester and Salford there were the following volunteer companies :—   
Volunteer Cavalry, Major Shakespeare Phillips     138 men.
Volunteer Artillery, Colonel Earl Wilton     113 men.
Royal Manchester and Salford Volunteers, Colonel Ackers     1,017 men.
2nd Battalion Royal M. & S., Lieut. Colonel Sylvester     1,057 men.
St. George’s Volunteers, Colonel Cross     300 men.
Hulme Volunteers, Major Pooley     190 men.
Swinton, Captain Bullock     83 men.
Pendleton, Captain Ablett     110 men.
Fourth-class Manch. and Salf. Volunteers, Lieut.-Col. G. Philips     386 men.
Trafford Volunteers, Lieutenant-Colonel Cooke     845 men.
First Regt. Manch. and Salf. Volunteers, Lieut.-Col. Phillips)
Heaton Norris Volunteers, Captain Dale                          )     1,119 men.
Failsworth Pikemen, Captain Birch     192 men.
Manchester, Salford, Bury, and Stockport Rifle and Pikemen, Lieutenant-Colonel Hanson     676 men.

There is a list of the companies and officers in Earwaker’s Local Gleanings, where the numbers of the men are in some cases slightly different.(7)

The order-book of the Royal Manchester and Salford Volunteers during their march from Bolton to Preston and return is printed in Earwaker’s Local Gleanings, Nos. 182, 189, 196.(7)