4th January Tuesday
By a fire at Messrs. Parr, Curtis, and Co.’s machine works, Store Street. damage was done to the extent of £9,000. January 4.(7)

11th January Tuesday
Mr. John Dickenson died January 11, at his residence, Mistley Hall, Essex. The family of Dickenson, of Birch, of whom the deceased was the survivor had been long connected with this town. Their residence was formerly in Market Street; and when Prince Charles Edward arrived here in 1745 it was selected for his headquarters. Mr. Dickenson married Mary, the only child of the Hon. Charles Hamilton, of  Northampton, by whom he had one daughter, who married, in 1815, General Sir W. Hamilton, Bart., K.C.B., and died in 1837, leaving seven surviving children.(7)

13th January Thursday
Mr. James Brierley, of Mossley Moss Hall, near Congleton, and formerly of Ardwick, died January 13. He acted for many years as a magistrate for this town, and served the office of boroughreeve two years consecutively, 1820-21.(7)

16th January Sunday
Mr. John Fletcher, twenty-five years one of the directors of the Gentlemen’s Concerts in this town, died January 16.(7)

24th January Monday
A building in Alum Street, Great Ancoats Street, was destroyed by fire January 24. The damage was about £1,500.(7)

31st January Monday
A great Anti-Corn-Law Bazaar was held at the Theatre Royal, which had been fitted up for the purpose. The proceeds amounted to £9,000. January 31.(7)

Owing to the great distress existing among the working classes, the Society of Friends opened a large soup kitchen in Bale Street. January.(7)

The Phonographic Journal issued, January. This was the first phonetic paper ever issued. Mr. Isaac Pitman gave the following account, at a meeting held in the Town Hall in 1868: “Although phonography itself was not born here, the Phonetic Journal was. In the winter of 1841 I was teaching classes and lecturing in this city, and being in the office of Messrs. Bradshaw and Blacklock, two very good men whom l am happy to see here to-night (Mr. John Barnes and Mr. Timothy Walker), who were then in the office, said: ‘We can do something to promote your object in this way. If you will write a page of shorthand on a particular kind of paper, with a particular kind of ink, which we will supply, we will produce you an exact printed copy of it.’ I did not know it could be done. I knew nothing of lithography then. I wrote it in Mr. Bradshaw’s counting-house, and they directly put it upon the stone, and brought me a facsimile of my own writing. I took a sheet of transfer paper home to my lodgings, wrote out the first number of the Phonographic Journal, as it was then called, which you see here [exhibiting to the audience the Journal for 1842], and they printed a thousand copies for me. I circulated several hundred of them during the remainder of my stay in Manchester, sent some to my London publisher, and took the rest to Glasgow.”(7)

28th February Monday
Mr. William Grant, of Spring Side, a magistrate and deputy-lieutenant of the county, died Feb. 28, aged 72. Mr. Grant’s benevolence was well known and extensively felt by hundreds of his poorer townsmen. His portrait, and that of his brother, have been well drawn by Mr. Dickens, as the “Brothers Cheeryble,” in Nicholas Nickleby.(7)

A petition, praying for a repeal of the Corn Laws, was despatched to London, signed by 75,000 women, and at the same time 1,300 other petitions were sent, emanating from as many different firms in this town. February.(7)

A parcel containing 1,500 sovereigns and £500 in notes was stolen from the Blackburn coach, February. It was the property of Messrs. Cunliffe, Brooks, and Co., bankers. The robbers were convicted and transported for life.(7)

15th March Tuesday
Ann, relict of the late Mr. Thomas Ainsworth, of this town, and mother of Mr. W. Harrison Ainsworth, died March 15, at Kensal Green, near London. She was the only daughter of the Rev. Ralph Harrison, formerly one of the ministers of Cross Street Chapel.(7)

25th March Friday
Mr. Fergus O’Connor, M.P., laid the foundation of a monument to the momory of Mr. Henry Hunt, the Radical Reformer, in Mr. Scholefield’s Chapelyard, Every Street, Ancoats. March 25.(7)

26th March Saturday
Batty’s Circus, Great Bridgewater Street, was burned down March 26.(7)

4th April Monday
Three men were killed by the bursting of a steam boiler at Messrs. Gisborne and Wilson’s printworks, Pendleton, April 4.(7)

22nd April Friday
5 Victoria, sess. 2, cap. 1. Act to extend the provisions of an Act of the 48th of King George the Third relative to the Manchester Royal Infirmary, Dispensary, and Lunatic Hospital or Asylum, and to incorporate the trustees thereof. April 22.(7)

22nd April Friday
Mr. Donald Fraser, formerly quarter master of the Lancashire militia, died April 22, aged 72.(7)

10th May Tuesday
The Manchester and Birmingham Railway was opened from Stockport to Sandbach, May 10.(7)

25th June Saturday
Rev. Francis Beardsall died June 25th on board a vessel bound for New York, and his body was committed to the waters. He was born at the Tontine Inn, Sheffield, September 6th, 1799, and educated at the Baptist Theological Academy. In 1834 he became pastor of the General Baptist Chapel, Oak Street, and having signed the temperance pledge, Sept. 6th, became a leader of the teetotal movement. He manufactured an unfermented wine for sacramental use, and wrote a treatise on Scripture Wines, and a Temperance Hymn Book, of which many thousands have been sold. He was co-editor with Rev. Joseph Barker of the Star of Temperance. Intending to visit the United States, Mr. Beardsall embarked for New York, May 13th, 1842, but suffered much during the protracted voyage, and did not reach the American shore. He was a man of unselfish and ardent temperament, who did much good in a too short life.(7)

25th June Saturday
The merchants of Manchester presented an address at the Town Hall to the Hon. Edward Everett, the American ambassador, who was staying with Mr. Alexander Henry at the Woodlands, June 25. (7)

27th June Monday
St. Matthias’s Church, Broughton Road, Salford, was consecrated June 27. (7)

27th June Monday
St. Bartholomew’s Church, Regent Road, was consecrated June 27. (7)

28th June Tuesday
St. Simon’s and St. Jude’s Church, Granby Row, was consecrated June 28.(7)

28th June Tuesday
St. Jude’s Church, Canal Street, Ancoats, was consecrated June 28. The building, a plain brick one, and previously in the occupation of the Tent Methodists, has since been pulled down, and a stone edifice erected in Mill Street. The site of the old building was afterwards devoted to the day and Sunday schools. (7)

30th June Thursday
The twelfth annual meeting of the British Association for the Advancement of Science was held in this town, with Lord Francis Egerton as president. The sittings terminated June 30.(7)

30th June Thursday Radcliffe-Prestwich
Rev. Nathaniel Miln, Rector of Radcliffe, and Miss Ellen Bowker, of Prestwich, married at Prestwich Church, on Thursday the 30th day of June, by the Rev. Thomas Blackburn, rector.

9th July Saturday
Giles Bedford, aged 90, died at Pendlebury, July 9. He was at the siege of Gibraltar, in the 72nd Regiment, or Manchester Volunteers, from September 12, 1779, to February, 1783.(7)

11th July Monday
James Russell, a pugilist, killed in a fight with the “Chequer Lad,” July 11th. Russell was born at Manchester, April 23, 1819. He is buried in the Cheetham Hill Cemetery. (Procter’s Our Turf, &c., p. 86.)(7)

13th July Wednesday
Mr. Richard Potter, formerly M.P. for Wigan, and brother to the late Sir Thomas Potter, died at Penzance, July 13.(7)

9th August Tuesday
The distress in the manufacturing district led to a great strike. Thousands of men flocked into Manchester, August 9, with banners and bludgeons, and for three days turned the workpeople out of the mills. On the 12th there was a meeting of 358 Chartist delegates of the factory districts held at Manchester, when 320 voted for the continuance of the strike until the Charter was repealed. Another meeting was held on the 15th, and on the 16th the delegates were dispersed by the police. The original reason for this gathering was the completion of a monument to Henry Hunt.(7)

10th August Wednesday
John Lord, who for upwards of forty years was a bellringer at Trinity Church, Salford, died August 10, aged 77.(7)

10th August Wednesday
Manchester and Birmingham Railway was opened throughout, August 10. The total cost of the railway was about £1,890,000. (7)

12th August Friday
5 and 6 Victoria, cap. 117. Act to amend and continue until the first day of October, 1842, the Acts regulating the police of Manchester, Birmingham, and Bolton. August 12.(7)

24th August Wednesday
The Salford old police office was sold for £40 and a chief rent of £21, Aug. 24.(7)

There were alarming riots in Manchester and neighbourhood, arising from want of employment and dearness of food. August.(7)

There was a six weeks’ strike of the factory operatives. It began In August. (City News Notes and Queries, vol. i., p. 292.)(7)

3rd September Saturday
Francis Bradley was executed September 3, at Liverpool, for the murder of his wife in Goulden Street, Manchester.(7)

4th September Saturday
Messrs. Kendal, Milne, and Faulkner, of the Bazaar, Deansgate, first lighted their establishment with the Bude light, September 4.(7)

12th September Monday
The first Manchester and Salford Regatta was held on the river Irwell September 12.(7)

15th September Thursday
Mr. Peter Ewart died at the Royal Dockyard, Woolwich, Sept.15, in consequence of a severe injury inflicted by the sudden breaking of a chain, while he was superintending the removal of a large boiler. He was born at Troquain Manse, Dumfriesshire, but came to Manchester before 1798, when he was elected a member of the Literary and Philosophical Society, of which he became vice-president in 1812. In 1835 he became chief engineer and inspector of machinery in Woolwich Dockyards. (Literary and Philosophical Memoirs, 3rd series, vol. vii., p. 121.)(7)

17th September Saturday
Messrs. Lockwood and Thornton’s cotton mill, Blackfriars Street, Salford, was burned down September 17. The damage was about £18,000. The control of the whole of the borough police force was transferred to the Corporation by Sir Charles Shaw, whose term of office expired September 30. Sir Charles was appointed by Government during the dispute as to the legality of the charter of incorporation.(7)

10th October Monday
St. Silas’s Church, Ashton Old Road, was consecrated October 10.(7)

15th October Saturday
Messrs. Ellis and Norton’s machine shop, opposite the New Bailey Prison, was burnt down October 15. The damage was estimated at £14,000.(7)

18th October Tuesday Prestwich
Roof of Poppythorne House fell in, and killed the daughter and the occupant, Mr. James Mason, on October 18.

24th October Monday
Captain Willis was appointed Chief Superintendent of the Manchester Police, at a salary of £450, and Mr. Beswick was retained as Superintendent of the Detective Force, at a salary of £350. October 24.(7)

5th November Saturday
Sir John Cross died at London Nov. 5. He was born at Scarborough in 1768, and having been appointed Attorney-General for the county palatine, resided in Manchester from 1804 to 1819. He wrote The Papal Supremacy, &c., 1826, and A Treatise on the Alien Laws. (Annual Register, 1842, p. 300; Legal Observer, vol. xxv., p. 88.)(7)

23rd November Wednesday
The large lamp, which then stood opposite to the Exchange, was lighted with the Bude light, November 23.(7)

23rd November Wednesday
The animals, &c., of the Manchester Zoological Gardens, Higher Broughton, were sold by auction, November 23.(7)

29th November Tuesday
The Rev. Joshua Lingard, M.A., first rector of St. George’s Church, Hulme, died Nov. 29, aged 44. He was born in Manchester in 1798, and was in early life a contributor to the Manchester Iris. There is a sketch of him in the Manchester School Register, and his portrait is prefixed to his posthumous manual on The Holy Communion and Eucharistical Office. As curate and rector he was for fifteen years minister of St. George’s.(7)

Mr. John Knowles became lessee of the Theatre Royal, which was placed under the management of Mr. Roxby, in November.(7)

5th December Monday
The tollbar near the Manchester Workhouse was removed, after an existence of twenty-four years, December 5.(7)

27th December Tuesday
The Rev. John Morton, D.D., incumbent of St. Clement’s Church, Chorlton-cum-Hardy, died December 27. In Higson’s Gorton Historical Recorder it is stated that the Bishop of Chester took a dislike to Mr. Morton’s appearance, and on that ground alone refused his first application for ordination in 1817.(7)

31st December Saturday
The Manchester Chronicle discontinued December 31. This was the oldest existing journal in the town, having been established in 1781.(7)

A Manchester claimant to the estates of Sir Andrew Chadwick had a curious correspondence with Sir Charles G. Young, Garter-King-at-Arms. These letters are printed in the Palatine Note-book, vol. iv., p. 61. The history of this extraordinary litigation is given in Reports on the Estate of Sir Andrew Chadwick, by Edward Chadwick and James Boardman, to which is prefixed the Life and History of Sir Andrew Chadwick, by John Oldfield Chadwick. (Manchester, 1881.)(7)

Mr. Thomas Cooper arrested for attending the Manchester Chartist Conference, and also on a charge of arson. On the latter indictment he was tried and acquitted at Stafford.(7)

The Mayor and Town Clerk of Manchester attended divine service at the Collegiate Church. This is the first time that the Corporation was recognised by the Churchwardens. The seats formerly used by the boroughreeves were now assigned to the mayor.(7)

The Bank of Manchester stopped payment. The losses were stated at £300,000, the liabilities £713,082. The failure of this bank created a panic and the shareholders suffered immense loss. Burdekin, the manager, absconded to America. (7)

Mr. Thomas Cooke, Pendleton, appointed high constable of the Salford Hundred.(7)

St. Matthias’s Church, Salford, was consecrated. It was enlarged in 1863. (7)