6th January Tuesday
Mr. Alexander Wilson died January 6, aged 43. He was the son of Michael Wilson, and was an animal painter and author of some of the verses that appeared in The Songs of the Wilsons. (Harland’s Songs of the Wilsons.)(7)

9th January Friday
A great meeting of the merchants, bankers, and manufacturers was held to consider the best means of furthering the purpose of the Anti-Corn Law League. A committee of gentlemen appointed to raise the remainder of the quarter of a million fund by personal canvass in Manchester. January 9.(7)

10th January Saturday
The Manchester Examiner, No. 1, January 10, was printed and published by Mr. Thomas Ballantyne, at No. 7, Pall Mall.(7)

18th January Sunday
The first annual meeting of the Manchester Commercial Association was held in York Hotel Buildings, King Street, when Mr. James Aspinall Turner, the president, occupied the chair. January 18.(7)

20th January Tuesday
Mr. Jeremy Smith, the oldest block printer in the trade, died January 20, aged 93, highly respected, and retaining his mental faculties to the last moment.(7)

24th January Saturday
A numerous meeting of delegates from the Short Time Committee of Lancashire and Cheshire was held at the Woodman Hut, Great Ancoats Street, January 24, at which petitions were set on foot praying for a Ten Hours Factory Bill for five days in the week and eight hours on Saturdays.(7)

2nd February Monday
A great meeting was held in the Corn Exchange, under the auspices of the Peace Society, with a view to pass resolutions condemnatory of the proposed enrolment of the militia, and to petition Parliament against the same. Feb. 2.(7)

9th February Monday
The first annual meeting of the Manchester Chamber of Commerce was held in the Town Hall Buildings, King Street, February 9. Mr. Thomas Bazley presided.(7)

The Swinton Schools were opened in February.(7)

2nd March Monday
A meeting was held in the Town Hall on behalf of the Ten Hours Bill, March 2. Lord Ashley, Mr. Richard Oastler, and Mr. Thomas Fielden were present.(7)

23rd March Monday
Mr. Charles Ewart died March 23, aged 77 years. For twenty-four years he was in the Scots Greys, and at the battle of Waterloo was fortunate enough to take an eagle of one of the most distinguished divisions of the French infantry. For his gallantry on this occasion Sergeant Ewart received his commission as ensign in the Royal Veteran Battalion. His wife survived him ten years, and died 26th August, 1856. There is a long account of Ensign Ewart in the Gentleman's Magazine 1846, vol. i. He is buried in the Bolton Street Graveyard, Salford.(7)

30th March Monday
The Manchester Court of Record for the recovery of debts up to £50 was opened before Mr. R. B. Armstrong, recorder, the mayor, Mr. Maude, and several other magistrates. March 30.(7)

30th March Monday
A fire broke out at the Theatre Royal during the performance, and destroyed some of the stage machinery. March 30.(7)

3rd April Friday
Mr. John William Atkinson died at Hamburg, April 3, in his 23rd year. His talents were various: as a marine painter he showed great talent. His “Phantom Ships” is said to be of a very high order. He was the son of Mr. T. W. Atkinson, at one time an architect in Manchester, but better known as an Oriental traveller.(7)

12th April Sunday
Mr. Benjamin Naylor died 12th April, aged 84 years. He was educated at Warrington Academy, and from 1780 to 1805 was Unitarian minister at Sheffield, where he published, in 1803, a sermon on the Right and Duty of Defensive War. Owing to the failing health of his brother-in-law, he gave up the ministry and became a merchant in Manchester.(7)

16th April Thursday
Mr. William Harter, Pendleton, appointed High Constable of the Manchester Division of the Hundred of Salford. April 16.(7)

22nd April Wednesday
The Richmond Independent Chapel, Broughton Street, Salford, was opened by Dr. Raffles. April 22.(7)

22nd April Wednesday
A public meeting was held in the lecture room of the Athenæum to advocate early closing in the Manchester houses of business. April 22.(7)

23rd April Thursday
Shakspere’s birthday was celebrated at the Manchester Athenæum by the delivery of an oration by Mr. George Dawson, M.A. April 23.(7)

In consequence of the scarcity of ice this season, thirty cartloads of snow were brought into Manchester early one morning in April, and sold to the fishmongers at 22s. per ton, to deposit in the ice-house under the Shambles.(7)

The Bishop of Chester restored rural deans throughout the archdeaconry of Manchester. April.(7)

The Synod of the Presbyterian Church in England held its annual meeting in the Scottish Established Church, St. Peter’s Square, at the end of April.(7)

5th May Tuesday
The purchase by the Corporation of Manchester from Sir Oswald Mosley of his manorial rights was completed, subject to the payment of the balance of the purchase money by instalments as agreed. May 5.(7)

9th May Saturday
A destructive fire at the Albion Bridge Mills caused damage to the extent of £3,500. May 9.(7)

14th May Thursday
9 Victoria, cap. 10. Act to enable the Company of Proprietors of the Manchester and Salford Waterworks to raise a further sum of money. May 14.(7)

30th May Saturday
Mr. David Holt, who was highly respected for his philanthropy, died at his residence in York Street, Stretford Road, May 30, at the age of 82. He was at one time very largely engaged in the manufacture of sewing cotton. He was the author of Miscellaneous Extracts, 1836; Incidents in the Life of David Holt, including a Sketch of some of the Philanthropic Institutions of Manchester during a Period of Forty Years, 1843. (Manchester School Register. vol. ii., p. 49.)(7)

30st May Saturday
The Whit-week races held on Kersal Moor for the last time. This race-course was first used in 1730. Mr Procter has given the history in Our Turf, Stage, and Ring. The last meeting was marked by a fatal accident to Byrne, a rider in the hurdle race.(7)

1st June Monday
The new organ in Cross Street Chapel was opened, June 1.(7)

1st June Monday
The Jubilee Conference of the Methodist New Connexion was held in Manchester in the first week of the month of June.(7)

15th June Monday
Some confusion and disorder at a service in St. Patrick’s Chapel, Livesey Street, originating in the removal of the Rev. Daniel Hearne from St. Patrick’s district to London. June 7. A public meeting was held at the Free Trade Hall in his honour. A testimonial was presented to him on the occasion, consisting of a green silk purse containing 270 sovereigns, a large and splendid gold crucifix and chain, value £40, a beautiful gold watch, chain, and appendages, value £40, and an elegant silver breakfast service. June 15.(7)

17th June Wednesday
Ibrahim Pacha, Viceroy of Egypt, and second son of Mehemet Ali, visited the chief manufacturing establishments of the town, June 17.(7)

26th June Friday
9 and 10 Victoria, cap. 126. Act for more effectually regulating the Salford Hundred Court, for extending the jurisdiction and powers of the said court, and for establishing and constituting it as a Court of Record. June 26.(7)

St. John’s Church, Longsight, was consecrated, June.(7)

Trinity Church, Rusholme, was built at the sole expense of the late Mr. T. C. Worsley, of Platt Hall. It was consecrated in June, and cost £3,600.(7)

2nd July Thursday
The Anti-Corn Law League was dissolved at a great meeting of its chief adherents in the Town Hall, July 2, in consequence of the passing of an Act of Parliament providing for the abolition of the Corn Laws.(7)

10th July Friday
An extensive fire in the cotton factory occupied by Mr. Rigg, Blackfriars, Salford, July 10.(7)

13th July Monday
The Right Hon. Thomas Milner Gibson, having accepted office in the Government, was re-elected member of Parliament for Manchester by show of hands in St. Ann’s Square, with only three dissentients. No other candidate appeared. July 13.(7)

16th July Thursday
The Manchester Markets Act, 1846, received the royal assent July 16. By this Act the old manorial markets were placed upon an enlarged and more satisfactory footing. Butchers and fishmongers were empowered to sell in their private shops upon taking out an annual licence from the Corporation, and by the schedules to the Act the maximum rates of toll, stallage, and rent to be paid in respect of goods sold in the market and for space occupied therein were definitely fixed. The official reference to the Act is 9 and 10 Victoria, cap. 219.(7)

20th July Monday
Mr. John Worthington, the inventor of the “Tide Water Power,” dropped down dead in his garden in Moss Lane, July 20.(7)

27th July Monday
9 and 10 Victoria, cap. 267. Act for vesting in the Sheffield, Ashton-under-Lyne, and Manchester Railway Company the Peak Forest Canal and the Macclesfield Canal. July 27.(7)

27th July Monday
9 and 10 Victoria, cap. 271. Act to enable the Company of Proprietors of the Manchester, Bolton, and Bury Canal Navigation and Railway to raise an additional sum of money, and to amend the Acts relating to the company. July 27.(7)

28th July Tuesday
Mr. John Owens died 28th July, aged 56. He was the son of Mr. Owen Owens, and was born in Manchester in 1790, and became his father’s assistant and ultimately his partner in the business of manufacturer of hat linings, furrier, and currier. In 1834 Owens became a partner with George and Samuel Faulkner, in the firm of S. Faulkner and Co., as spinners, but he soon retired from partnership. In 1844 Owen Owens died, and John Owens inherited the whole of his father’s property. In politics Owens was a Radical, and in favour of the abolishment of University Tests, and so, when Owens, finding his end approaching, offered the bulk of his property to George Faulkner, the latter, with a noble disinterestedness, declined it. “My boy, John,” he said, “is dead, and as I have as much money or more than I shall ever require, why should you not found a college in this city, and carry out in its foundation those principles that you have so earnestly proclaimed during your life ?” This advice was acted upon, for John Owens, by his will, dated 31st May, 1845, directed that the residue of his personal estate should be applied to the founding of an educational institution, which was called Owens College. The amount of the property thus left was over £100,000. John Owens was never married. His death was caused by the rupture of a bloodvessel. (Papers of Manchester Literary Club, vol. iv., p. 135; City News, vol. i, p. 283; Old South-­East Lancashire, p. 34.)(7)

3rd August Monday
Lower Broughton was first lighted with gas. August 3.(7)

3rd August Monday
The repeal of the Corn Laws was commemorated by a general holiday and an immense procession, followed by great festivities and an illumination. August 3.(7)

3rd August Monday
9 and 10 Victoria, cap. 306. Act to enable the Manchester and Leeds Railway Company to make several Branch Railways, and to authorise the amalgamation of the Preston and Wyre Railway, Harbour, and Dock Company with the Manchester and Leeds Railway Company. August 3.(7)

18th August Tuesday
9 and 10 Victoria, cap. 378. Act to incorporate the Company of Proprietors of the Manchester, Bolton, and Bury Canal Navigation and Railway with the Manchester and Leeds Railway Company. August 18.(7)

18th August Tuesday
9 and 10 Victoria, cap. 32. Act to unite and to incorporate the trustees of certain charities established by Mr. Humphrey Booth, the elder, and by Mr. Humphrey Booth, his grandson, respectively, and to amend an Act of Parliament made and passed in the fifteenth year of His late Majesty King George the Third, intituled an Act to enable the trustees of certain Charity lands belonging to the poor of Salford to grant building leases thereof, and to make further provision for the beneficial management and administration of the several charity estates and charities of the said Humphrey Booth, the elder, and Humphrey Booth, his grandson, respectively. August 18.(7)

18th August Tuesday
9 and 10 Victoria, cap. 380. Act for enabling the Huddersfield and Manchester Railway and Canal Company to make a branch railway from their main line of railway to Oldham. August 18.(7)

21st August Friday
Charlotte Brontë visited Manchester 21st August, in company with her father, upon whom the operation of the extraction of the cataract was performed. The Rev. Patrick Brontë and his daughter remained for about a month lodging in one of the suburbs. On the day when the operation was performed she received from a London publisher a curt refusal of The Professor, which had been offered for publication. (Gaskell’s Life of Brontë.) She visited Manchester earlier in the month with her sister Emily. (See also under date June, 1851.)(7)

22nd August Saturday
The public parks of Manchester and Salford—Peel Park, Queen’s Park, and Philips Park—were opened with a great procession and festivities, August 22.(7)

23rd August Sunday
Mr. John Palmer died at Manchester 23rd August. He was born at Bishop Middleham, Durham, 1783, and lived in Manchester for 33 years. He was author of History of the Siege of Manchester and Architectural Description of the Collegiate Church. He was an architect by profession. (Procter’s Manchester Streets, p. 191.)(7)

5th October Monday
The Duchess of Gloucester visited Manchester on her way to Worsley Hall, October 5.(7)

In the course of excavations at New Cross several skeletons were discovered. In the earlier part of the century it was customary to bury suicides at this place.(7)

The boroughreeves ceased to be elected, their functions merging in those of the mayor. The last who served the office was Mr. Alexander Kay.(7)