17th. January Monday
Rev. Nicholas Melland Germon died January 17. He was born at Manchester, May 23, 1828, his father being Rev. N. Germon, of the Free Grammar School, which he entered in 1836, and then finished his education at Oxford. He was ordained priest in 1854, and served several curacies, and eventually became Vicar of Newchurch-in-Pendle, where he died. He was author of Plain Exposition of the Nicene Creed: two Sermons preached in St. Peter's Church, Manchester, 1864. (School Register, vol. iii. p. 273.)(7)

27th. January Thursday
Sir John Bowring, LL.D., F.R.S., &c., visited Manchester, January 27.(7)

31st. January Monday
The Rev. James Fraser, M.A., having been presented by the Crown to the bishopric of Manchester, was elected by the Dean and Chapter, January 31.(7)

5th. February Saturday
Lycurgus, Archbishop of Syra, Tenos, and Milos, visited Manchester, February 5, and preached on the following day at the Greek Church, Higher Broughton.(7)

6th. February Sunday
A farewell reading by Charles Dickens given in the Free Trade Hall, Feb. 6. "After,' says Dolby, "we had passed an enjoyable and quiet Sunday at the Queen's Hotel, Manchester, and as by a wonderful circumstance it did not rain, we drove to Alderley Edge, the fresh air reviving the chief wonderfully." (Charles Dickens as I Knew Him, p. 393.) On their return a telegram was waiting announcing the death of Dickens's friend, Sir James Emerson Tennant.(7)

25th. March Friday
The Rev. James Fraser, D.D., consecrated Bishop of Manchester, March 25, at the Manchester Cathedral, by the Archbishop of York and the Bishops of Chester and Ripon.(7)

30th. April Saturday
An attempt was made, April 30, to blow up the house of Mr. Edward Johnson, at Levenshulme, and at the same time it was found that his timber-yard in Chapel Street was on fire. This was supposed to be the work of trade unionists, to whom Mr. Johnson was obnoxious as a maker of machine-bricks. The occurrence led to a debate in the City Council and to a question in the House of Commons.(7)

5th. May Thursday
Mr. Peter Joynson died at the residence of his son, Taurogo House, Abergele, May 5, aged 82. Mr. Joynson was the senior member of the Manchester Royal Exchange, and his recollections of the city extended as far back as the period when there was only one carriage and pair to be seen in our streets.(7)

28th. May Saturday
The foundation stone of Holt Town Ragged School was laid May 28, by Mr. George Bedson. The building accommodates 500 scholars, and the estimated cost was £900.(7)

30th. May Monday
Rev. George Henry Greville Anson, M.A., admitted archdeacon of Manchester, May 30.(7)

3rd. June Friday
The schools adjoining Richmond Congregational Church, Broughton Road, Salford, were opened June 3. The building contains a lecture-hall and ten class-rooms, and also a commodious and well-ventilated room for the infant class, and cost £3,500.(7)

4th. June Saturday
The annual procession of scholars, teachers, and friends connected with the Church of England Sunday schools, June 4. The number of children who took part in the procession was 15,167.(7)

4th. June Saturday
General S. F. Cary, whilst on a visit to Manchester, was initiated as a Rechabite, June 4, at the Trevelyan Hotel.(7)

6th. June Monday
The Co-operative Congress was held June 6, 7, and 8, at the Memorial Hall. Mr. Walter Morrison, the president, occupied the chair on the first day, and was succeeded by Rev. W. N. Molesworth, Mr. J. T. Hibbert, and Mr. Lloyd Jones.(7)

10th. June Friday
Mr. James Bennett died at Brighton, June 10. He was a native of Manchester, being born within the precincts of the "Old Church," of which he became a chorister. He went to London, where he attracted some notice, and thence to Italy to complete his musical training. He was professor of singing at the Royal Academy of Music, and a gentleman of the Chapel Royal. He wrote A Practical Introduction to Part and Sight Singing, London 1843, and Elementary Exercises for the Cultivation of the Voice, London (folio). He was the first producer of Rossini's Stabat Mater.(7)

24th. June Friday
Baboo Keshub Chunder Sen, the Hindoo reformer, addressed a meeting in the Free Trade Hall, June 24. Mr. Edward Hardcastle, presided. Many clergymen of the Established Church were present; and nearly every body of Protestant Dissenters was represented. The subject of Sen's address was the mission of the Brahmo Somaj and the condition of India generally. On June 25th he was entertained by the United Kingdom Alliance at the Trevelyan Hotel, and on the 26th preached at the Unitarian Free Church, Strangeways.(7)

29th. June Wednesday
Mr. W. T. Blacklock died at Hope Field, Eccles, 29th June. He was a member of the firm of Messrs. Bradshaw and Blacklock. His death, which was sudden, occurred on the morning of the marriage of his second daughter. He was a director and one of the largest shareholders in the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway Company. He was a magistrate for the county, and took an active part in the administration of its magisterial business. He also took a prominent part in the various charitable and religious institutions in Manchester, being treasurer of the local branch of the British and Foreign Bible Society, the Religious Tract Society, and of the Clinical Hospital; and our city missions and ragged schools lost by his death a good friend.(7)

30th. June Thursday
The Wesleyan Chapel, Regent Road, Salford, was opened June 30. This chapel, which was built from the designs of Mr. Webster, architect, will seat 850 worshippers. The estimated cost was £4,000.(7)

4th. July Monday
The Excelsior Printing and Bookbinding Works, Hulme Hall Road, was opened July 4. This establishment, the property of Mr. John Heywood, publisher of this work, is one of the largest of the kind in the provinces, and employs upwards of 750 individuals.(7)

4th. July Monday
33 and 34 Victoria, cap. 2. Act for the Extension of the Owens College, Manchester, and other purposes, 4th July.(7)

14th. July Thursday
33 and 34 Victoria, cap. 129. Act for amending and extending the provisions of the Acts relating to the Borough of Salford, for authorising certain street improvements, and for other purposes, 14th July.(7)

5th. August Friday
Mr. Samuel Dukinfield Darbishire died 5th August, aged 74 years. He was one of the founders of the Manchester Athenĉum, and of Manchester New College. He was Councillor for All Saints' Ward in the first Town Council. On retiring from practice as a solicitor he settled at Pendyffryn, Carnarvonshire, of which county he was High Sheriff in 1855. (Baker's Memorials, p. 114.)(7)

6th. August Saturday
The Alexandra Park at Moss Side was opened August 6th. It has an area of 62 acres.(7)

11th. August Thursday
Rev. John Livesey, M.A., died at Sheffield, August 11. He was born at Ardwick, May 17th 1803, his father being Mr John Livesey, a warehouseman. He entered the Manchester Grammar School in 1819, graduated at St. John's College, Cambridge-B.A. 1827, M.A. 1830. He was ordained deacon and was curate at Trinity Church, Cambridge; in 1828 he was ordained priest. He became incumbent of St Philip's Church, Sheffield in 1831 and held that position until his death He was author of several pamphlets and sermons (School Register, vol. iii. p. 142.)(7)

18th. August Thursday
The wife of Patrick Durr an Irish labourer, was murdered by her husband, in Brighton Street, Red Bank, August 18. The murder was accomplished by strangulation, which was effected with a cord about three feet in length. The crime was witnessed by a son, a boy of 14, whose testimony was the chief evidence.(7)

27th. August Saturday
The Growler, No. 1, Saturday, August 27th. "Owing to constitutional weakness no further growls were emitted." No. 2 never appeared.(7)

12th. September Monday
Miss Eleanora Atherton, of Kersal Cell and Quay Street, died September 12, in the 89th year of her age. Miss Atherton was a descendant of the Byrom family. She was a large contributor to the various charitable and religious institutions in Manchester. Holy Trinity Church, Stretford Road, was built at her sole cost.(7)

21st. September Wednesday
St. James the Less, Little Newton Street, Ancoats, was consecrated September 21. Mr. T. Risley was the architect. Sittings 750. Cost £2,800.(7)

23rd. September Friday
The foundation stone of the new buildings of the Owens College was laid by the Duke of Devonshire, September 23. The college is to accommodate 600 day students, in addition to the evening classes. The sum of £100,000 was placed at the disposal of the committee, £67,000 of which was available for the erection of the building. The building and site were estimated to cost £90,000. Mr. A Waterhouse was the architect.(7)

27th. September Tuesday
Mr. Jeremiah Garnett died at Sale, September 27, in the 77th year of his age. Mr. Garnett was born October 2, 1793, at Wharfeside, Otley, the residence of his father, Mr. William Garnett, who was a paper manufacturer of that place. He came to Manchester about 1814, and formed his first connection with the newspaper world by entering the office of Wheeler's Chronicle, and in 1821 he transferred his services to the Manchester Guardian, which was commenced in that year. He was commissioner of police under the old government of Manchester, and co-operated actively in bringing about the incorporation of the town in 1838. In January, 1844, he was elected as councillor for St. Ann's Ward, filling up the vacancy caused by the death of his partner, Mr. John Edward Taylor. Mr. Garnett, however, only acted for the remainder of Mr. Taylor's term of office, which expired on November 1, 1845. Mr. Garnett succeeded to a leading share in the direction of the Manchester Guardian on the decease of his partner, the original founder and editor of the paper, in January, 1844. Little more than four years later, the early death of Mr. Russell Scott Taylor left the editorship-in-chief exclusively in his hands. He finally retired from all active duties in connection with his office at the beginning of 1861. (Manchester City News, October 1, 1870; Sphinx, vol. iii. p. 349.)(7)

5th. November Saturday
The Queen's Theatre, Bridge Street, opened November 5, with a new play, entitled "Insured at Lloyd's."(7)

7th. November Monday
A branch Free Library, in Greengate, Salford, opened November 7. This branch was the first offshoot of the Peel Park Library. The building contract, including fixtures, was £1,308.(7)

24th. November Thursday
The election of a School Board for Manchester, to carry out the provisions of the Education Act in the city, took place November 24. There were forty four candidates for the fifteen seats. At the first meeting Mr. Herbert Birley was elected Chairman.(7)

30th. November Wednesday
The first election of the School Board for Salford took place November 30.There were twenty-four candidates for the fifteen seats. At the first meeting Mr. Herbert Birley was elected Chairman.(7)

The schools in connection with Salem Chapel, Strangeways (Methodist New Connexion), were completed in November. The cost was £2,600.(7)

4th. December Sunday
Mr. John Sudlow died, December 4, at New Holme, Whalley Range, aged 50. He was a member of the firm of Messrs. Ainsworth, Crossley, & Sudlow, and was Churchwarden of Manchester in 1861, 1862, and 1863. He was a prominent Conservative, and took an active part in the elections for South Lancashire.(7)

19th. December Monday
On December 19 a banquet was given at the Clarence Hotel, Manchester, to Mr. James Ashbury, whose yacht Cambria won the ocean race across the Atlantic against the Dauntless. Dr. Peter Royle presided, and upwards to eighty gentlemen were present.(7)

24th. December Saturday
Alderman William Harvey, of Salford, died December 24, aged 83. He was at one time a partner with his cousin, Mr. Joseph Brotherton, M.P. He had been an active member of the Anti-Corn Law League, was president of the Vegetarian Society, and chairman of the Executive Council of the United Kingdom Alliance. He was Mayor of Salford in 1857-8 and 1858-9.(7)

27th. December Tuesday
At the City Coroner's Court, held December 27, no fewer than eleven cases were investigated. Verdicts of "Accidental death" were returned in each case.(7)

29th. December Thursday
Mr. George Wilson, chairman of the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway Company, died suddenly in a railway carriage, whilst on his way to Liverpool, December 29. Mr. Wilson was a native of Hathersage, where he was born in April, 1808. His father, who was a corn miller, removed to Manchester in 1813 where the son was eventually apprenticed to a corn merchant Subsequently Mr. Wilson became a manufacturer of starch and gum, but this business not proving successful, he relinquished it, and devoted his attention to the management of telegraphs and railways. Mr. Wilson entered public life at a very early age, and at the first Parliamentary election, in 1832, played a very prominent part. The return of Mr. Charles Poulett Thomson, in con-junction with Mr. Mark Philips, is said to have been largely due to Mr. Wilson's exertions. His next efforts were directed to the work of obtaining a charter of incorporation for Manchester, and Mr. Wilson, as one of the first elected councillors, represented St. Michael's Ward in the Town Council from 1839 to 1842. Before his municipal term of office terminated, his connection with the Free Trade agitation had commenced, and in 1841 he was elected chairman of the Anti-Corn-Law Leagues a position he occupied until the repeal of the Corn Laws and the dissolution of the association in 1846. As an evidence of his activity in this capacity it is stated that he attended no fewer than 1,361 meetings in various parts of the country; and, as a reward for his services, a testimonial of £10,000 was presented to him. His chief energies after the repeal of the Corn Laws were devoted to the electoral affairs of the city and county, and to the organisation and labours of the National Reform Union of which association he was the chairman. He was the chairman of the Manchester Board of Directors of the Electric Telegraph Company, and was largely instrumental in the development of the telegraph system in this part of the country. He was buried at Ardwick Cemetery, January 2, 1871.(7)

31st. December Saturday
Mr Richard Parker, clerk to the Prestwich Board of Guardians died December 31, aged 55 years. Mr. Parker acted for some years as a relieving officer in the Manchester Poor Law Union. He is buried at St. Mark's Church.(7)

The masons' strike, which lasted for thirteen months, came to an end by the submission of the men.(7)

A great fire in Barrack Street, Chester Road, Hulme, caused damage which was estimated at £10,000.(7)