4th. January Thursday
A storm of unusual violence occurred in Manchester and neighbourhood, January 4. The wind blew with great violence and hail fell heavily. Lightning and thunder followed, the flashes succeeding each other with great rapidity and were very vivid. St. Mary's Church, Higher Crumpsall, was struck by the electric fluid, and the entire of the internal portion of the sacred edifice was thereby reduced to a shapeless mass of debris. The damage was estimated at about 2,500, which was covered by insurance.(7)

29th. January Monday
The branch library for Cheetham and adjacent districts-the fifth of the Manchester branches-was opened by the Mayor of Manchester, January 29.(7)

30th. January Tuesday
Rev. Louis Henry Mordacque, M.A., incumbent of Haslingden, died January 30. He was the son of Mr. L. A. J. Mordacque, of Manchester, and was born May 10, 1824. He was the translator of Salverte's History of Names, 1862-4, in 2 vols.(7)

6th. February Tuesday
Sir Thomas Phillips, Bart, M.A., F.R.S., died February 6, at Cheltenham. He was born at Cannon Street, Manchester, in 1792, and was the illegitimate son of Mr. Thomas Phillips. He became a great book collector, and his mansion at Middle Hill was famous for its valuable MSS. He set up a private press, at which numerous tracts and fragments were printed. As he had no son the title became extinct at his death. (Herald and Genealogist, vol. iii., p. 349.)(7)

8th. February Thursday
Lieutenant-Colonel G. B. Brown-Westhead, of the 31st Regiment, died at Malvern Wells, February 8, aged 42. He was the eldest son of Mr. J. P. Brown-Westhead, M.P., and distinguished himself in the Crimea.(7)

22nd. February Thursday
Mr. Martin Schunck died, February 22. He was the son of Herr Karl Schunck, a major in the army of Heese, and was born at Schluchtern, November 11, 1789, but settled in Manchester in 1808, where he resided during the remainder of his life, and was a successful merchant.(7)

22nd. February Thursday
Rev. George John Piccope, M.A., died at Yarwell, Northamptonshire, February 22. He was born at Manchester, 1818, where his father was rector of St. Paul's Church; entered the Grammar School, 1832, and proceeded to Oxford, where he graduated B.A. 1842 and M.A. 1845. From 1849 to 1864 he was curate of Brindle; in that year he was preferred to the curacy of Yarwell, of which he had sole charge until his death He was editor of three vols. of Lancashire and Cheshire Wills and Inventories for Chetham Society He was a zealous antiquary. His various MS. collections were presented to Chetham Society. (School Register, vol. iii. p. 241.)(7)

26th. February Monday
A special thanksgiving service for the recovery of the Prince of Wales was held in the Cathedral, February 26. A sermon was preached by the Bishop of Manchester; and the military forming the garrison, together with the various regiments of volunteers, attended the service. Special thanksgiving services were also held in several of the district churches throughout the city and neighbourhood.(7)

27th. February Tuesday
Mr. Charles Samuel Simms died, February 27, at Higher Broughton. He was born at Bath, January 17, 1809, and educated at the Grammar School of that town. Be began business at Wigan as a printer and bookseller, and the editions for private circulation of the Lives of the Lindsays and other writings of the late Earl of Crawford and Balcarres were printed by him. Mr. Simms settled in Manchester, where he printed the publications of the Chetham and Spenser Societies. He was the author of a Translation of the First Book of Homer's Iliad (1866), and of a volume of verse entitled Footprints (1861), both of which were printed for private circulation. A biographical notice, written by Mr. James Crossley, appeared in the Manchester Courier, March 2.(7)

10th. March Sunday
A serious fire occurred in Allen's Buildings, Victoria Street, March 10. Great damage was done to property belonging to various parties carrying on business in the premises, amounting in the aggregate to about 15,000.(7)

1st. April Monday
The Right Hon. B. Disraeli, accompanied by his wife, Viscountess Beaconsfield, visited Manchester, April 1. On the following day a demonstration upon an extensive scale took place at Pomona Gardens, where Mr. Disraeli received addresses from 124 of the Lancashire Conservative, Constitutional, and Orange Associations. It was estimated that the number in the great hall was between 25,000 and 30,000, and there was another large crowd in the open air numbering probably 10,000 or 15,000 more. On the Wednesday evening a monster meeting was held in the Free Trade Hall, upon which occasion the right hon. gentleman delivered an address. There were upon the platform the Earls of Derby and Ellesmere and 28 members of Parliament, besides a large number of local gentlemen. On the following day Mr. Disraeli received a deputation of factory operatives at the residence of Mr. W. R. Callender, Ashbourne House, Victoria Park, whose guest he was. Mr. Disraeli then visited the Conservative Club, St. James's Square, where be lunched with about 100 of the members, and subsequently received two deputations. He afterwards visited Peel Park and some of the manufactories of the town. On April 5 he took his departure for London.(7)

13th. April Saturday
Mr. Samuel Bamford, the Reformer, and author of the famous Passages from the Life of a Radical, died April 13, aged 84. Samuel Bamford was born at Middleton, February 28, 1788. He learned weaving when a youth, passed a short time as sailor on board a coaster voyaging between London and Shields, was a warehouseman in Manchester, and a weaver again in Middleton. He played a prominent part in the agitation for Parliamentary Reform between 1815 and 1819; was present as the leader of the Middleton contingent of Reformers at Peterloo; was tried at York, along with "Orator Hunt" and others, on a charge of "conspiracy to alter the legal frame of government and constitution of these realms, and with meeting tumultuously at Manchester ;" was condemned to twelve months' imprisonment in Lincoln Castle; was afterwards a newspaper reporter for London and district journals; was seven years (1851-58) a clerk in the Board of Inland Revenue Office at Somerset House; and, finally, when seventy years old, settled down at Moston, where he spent the last fourteen years of his life. In addition to his prose writings, Bamford was the author of a small volume of poems, which he modestly entitled Homely Rhymes. He is buried at Middleton Church, where there is a monument to his memory.(7)

20th. May Monday
The annual procession of children attending the various Church of England Sunday schools in Manchester numbered 15,443. May 20.(7)

24th. May Friday
Mr. William Romaine Callender, J.P., died at his residence, The Elms, Didsbury, May 24, aged 78 years. Mr. Callender was intimately associated with the public affairs of Manchester at the commencement of its history as a municipality. He began life as a draper's assistant, in which capacity he came to Manchester from Birmingham about 1815. After serving two houses as salesman, he was made, in 1822, a partner in one of them. He was subsequently the founder and senior partner of the firm of Callender, Bickham, and Company, in Mosley Street, and afterwards he took Mr. Dodgshon, and his two sons (Mr. W. Romaine Callender, jun., and Mr. Pope Callender) into partnership, and carried on business in Charlotte Street. Under the firm of Callender and Sons he afterwards entered into a large spinning business, and purchased the mills of the late Mr. Robert Barnes, in Jackson Street, London Road, and also the mills of Mr. (afterwards Sir Thomas) Bazley, M.P., near Bolton. Mr. Callender took an active part in local politics and municipal affairs. He was for some years a member of the City Council for St. James's Ward, and was elected as alderman, but resigned that office after holding it for a few years. In politics he was a Whig or Moderate Liberal, and he was a member of the election committee of Mr. C. Poulett Thomson, who was returned to Parliament in 1832 with Mr. Mark Philips, in the contest against Mr. Loyd, Mr. Hope, and Mr. Cobbett. Subsequently Mr. Callender was identified with the late Mr. Alderman Neild, Mr. Cobden, and Mr. Alexander Kay in the struggle for the incorporation of Manchester, and he was also a member of the committee of the Manchester Reform Association for many years, until it was determined in 1846-47 to bring forward Mr. Bright as candidate for Manchester. Mr. Callender, not approving of Mr. Bright's nomination, left the association, and took no very active part in politics afterwards. He was a liberal subscriber to the principal charities and public institutions of the town, and was a trustee of the Royal Infirmary and the Manchester Grammar School. He was a Congregationalist.(7)

26th. May Sunday
A destructive fire broke out at the cotton warehouse of Mr. E. Butterworth, Union Street, Ancoats, May 26. The damage was estimated at 15,000.(7)

28th. May Tuesday
Rev. John James Tayler died at London, May 28. He was born at Newington Butts, Aug. 15, 1797, was a minister of the Unitarian Chapel, Upper Brook Street, and professor in Manchester New College. He wrote a Retrospect of Religious Life in England, 1845, and other works. (Letters of J. J. Tayler, embracing his Life, by J. H. Thom, 1872. 2 vols.)(7)

14th. June Friday
Mr. Charles Allen Duval died, June 14, at Alderley. He was born about 1808, and was a portrait painter, and also contributed to the North of England Magazine, and wrote pamphlets on the American War.(7)

17th. June Monday
Rev. Elijah Hoole died in London, June 17. He was born at Manchester, February 3, 1798, and was educated at the Grammar School. He went to India as a missionary, and translated the Bible into the Tamil language, and wrote a Personal Narrative of Missions, and other works. (Manchester School Register, vol. iii., pp. 44, 290.)(7)

27th. June Thursday
35 and 36 Victoria. Act for enabling the mayor, aldermen, and citizens of the city of Manchester. to make new streets, with a bridge over the river Irwell, and to acquire additional lands for cemetery and other purposes, and for making further provision respecting the borrowing of money by them, and for other purposes. June 27.(7)

13th. July Saturday
The most disastrous flood which ever visited Manchester and neighbourhood occurred July 13. The flood of 1866 along the banks of the Irwell inflicted probably as great a loss within the limits of its ravages, but on this occasion the inundation was more widely extended, and laid a vastly larger tract of country under water. The rainfall of the previous week was enormous, and an ordinary month's rain fell on the 12th and 13th alone. The Irwell, which is an unusually rapid river, rose many yards above its ordinary level. Portions of Peel Park were flooded, and the racecourse, near Throstle Nest, was also inundated, but no serious injury was done. Far different was the state of affairs along the course of the Medlock, and it was on the banks of this river that the effects of the rainstorm were felt most disastrously. The water began to rise about eleven o'clock, but it was past twelve before it attained the dimensions of an irresistible flood, and then it bore all before it. At Medlock Vale, some three miles beyond Bradford-cum-Beswick, the fields were covered on either side, and two bridges were washed away. At Messrs. Taylor and Boyd's calico printworks, Clayton Bridge, the river rose twelve feet above its ordinary level, and one of the lodge embankments gave way. A weir at Lord's Brook, at the end of Green's Lane, was washed down, and persons going along the lane were obliged to get over into the field, the ordinary road being quite impassable. Several tons of earth were washed on the line of the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway, near Clayton Bridge Station, and for some hours the traffic had to be carried on by means of one line of rails only. Beyond the bridge, near Messrs. Wood and Wright's Clayton Vale printworks, the river burst its banks, and the destruction caused at the works was terrific. Two bridges were destroyed, a weir partially washed away, the walls of the white-room, in which 20,000 pieces of calico were stored, fell, and the goods and machinery were carried into the water. Machinery was damaged, dyes destroyed, the boiler fires extinguished, and the whole place devastated. By the time the flood had reached the Manchester City Cemetery, near the Philips Park, Bradford, it had grown in volume and power. About noon it broke through a wall of stone which bounds the cemetery on one side, and rushed with tremendous force across the Roman Catholic portion of the graveyard. The result was indescribably distressing and ghastly. Coffins were washed out of the earth and dashed to pieces against the weir of the adjoining printworks, and the corpses were then swept down the stream. The number of bodies thus disturbed has not been accurately ascertained, but more than fifty were recovered. From Philips Park to Fairfield Street the ravages of the flood continued, and at this latter point the inundation, besides injuring the works along the banks, penetrated the houses of the poorer people. Near Holt Town Bridge a row of cottages was undermined, and the tenants had to fly to save their lives. In Ancoats, near Palmerston Street, where the river winds through a densely-populated district, the water rose to the bedrooms, and rafts had to be used to rescue the inmates. Similar scenes were witnessed in Ardwick, and in the street in which the Mayfield Baths are situated. Great injury was inflicted upon the works in this neighbourhood. Along the entire course of the river through the city the damage done to machinery and other property was very considerable, and the scenes witnessed amongst the poor working classes residing on its banks were of a most distressing nature, many of the unfortunate denizens of the low-lying districts having to be rescued through their bedroom windows. In some of the manufactories the water rose to the height of fifteen feet. At the junction of the Medlock with the Irwell, at Knot Mill, the water accumulated in large volumes. Much of it passed over to the Bridgewater Canal, and so flooded the wharves that two barges laden with coal were lifted from the canal, and, when the water subsided, were deposited on the wharf near one of the goods warehouses. Only one life was, however, lost, but many hairbreadth escapes were encountered.(7)

13th. July Saturday
The Right Rev. William Turner, D.D., Bishop of Salford, died July 13. He was born at Whittingham, near Preston, in 1799, where his father was a solicitor. After studying at Ushaw he went to the English College at Rome, and on his return was present at the opening of St. Augustine's Church in Granby Row. In 1826 he was ordained and laboured in various parts of Lancashire. In 1832 he volunteered to take the post of the priests who died, in the visitation at Leeds, of cholera. When the Roman Catholic hierarchy was re-established Dr. Turner was the first appointed Bishop of Salford, and was consecrated in St. John's Cathedral, July 25, 1851, by Cardinal Wiseman. Dr. Turner was buried at Salford Cemetery, and the funeral sermon was preached by Archbishop Manning. His successor to the see of Salford was the Right Rev. Herbert Vaughan, D.D.(7)

3rd. August Saturday
A railway collision occurred on the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway near Agecroft, August 3. Four lives were lost, and several persons seriously injured.(7)

17th. August Saturday
Captain Thomas Henry Mitchell, governor of the Salford Hundred County Gaol, in Strangeways, died suddenly, Aug. 17, aged 72 years. He held the office of governor for twenty-four years. He was a strict disciplinarian, and discharged the duties of his office to the entire satisfaction of the visiting justices, Captain Mitchell entered the army as a private in the Grenadier Guards at the age of sixteen, and was promoted to the post of sergeant in that division of the service. Then he was transferred as ensign to the 60th Rifles, in which corps he ultimately became a captain. He was interred at the Salford Cemetery.(7)

27th. August Tuesday
Mr. Francis Taylor died August 27. He was born at Beverley, in 1818, but at an early age entered the warehouse of Messrs. Potter and Norris, in which he ultimately became a partner. As chairman of the Home Trade Association he urged upon the Government the introduction of a parcel post-many years, of course, before its adoption. He was instrumental in the assembling of the Educational Conference of 1867, and was consulted by Mr. W. E. Forster in the preparation of the Education Act of 1867.(7)

28th. August Wednesday
Mr. Robert Rumney died at Springfield, Whalley Range, August 28. He was born at Kirkby Lonsdale in 1811, came to Manchester, and after some years became a partner with Mr. Hadfield in his chemical works, the firm becoming Hadfield and Rumney. In 1856 Mr. Rumney was elected councillor for Ardwick Ward, and, with the exception of a brief interval, he held that position till he became an alderman in 1866. He was also a member of the first School Board, and a J.P. for Manchester. In politics he was a Liberal, and was for a time opposed to the National Education Bill, but was afterwards converted.(7)

20th. September Friday
Arthur Orton, the claimant to the Tichborne title and estates, visited Manchester, September 20. This chief of modern impostors, together with a number of his abettors and supporters addressed a multitude of his admirers in the Free Trade Hall who paid prices for their admission varying from sixpence to half-a-crown.(7)

1st. October Tuesday
Mr. Jesse Percy Stokes, journalist, died at Manchester, October 1. He was born in 1808, and was the author of Two Christmas Papers, Manchester, 1858.(7)

4th. October Friday
The Japanese Ambassadors arrived in Manchester, October 4, and visited various manufactories in the city, also the Royal and Prince's Theatres, the Assize Courts, and City Gaol.(7)

18th. October Friday
Mr. Elijah Ridings died October 18. He was born at Failsworth, November 27, 1802, and was the tenth of his parents' fifteen children. He had a hard struggle with poverty all his life, was present at Peterloo, and took an active part in the reform agitation. He was the author of The Village Muse and Streams from an Old Fountain.(7)

29th. October Tuesday
The Rev. Herbert Vaughan, D.D., was consecrated Roman Catholic Bishop of Salford, October 29, at St. John's Cathedral, Salford.(7)

20th. November Wednesday
A dreadful case of murder and suicide occurred in School Street, Lower Broughton, November 20. A man named Robert Tebbutt, whilst visiting an acquaintance of the name of William Garstang, was shot by the latter. Garstang then put the pistol to his own mouth and shot himself. Death in both cases was instantaneous.(7)

24th. December Tuesday
Rev. Robert Lamb, M.A., died at Haycarr, near Lancaster, December 24. He took his degree of M.A. at Oxford in 1840. After serving two curacies he was presented to the living of St Paul's Turner Street, in 1849, and remained there till 1871. He was a constant contributor to Fraser's Magazine, under the pseudonym of "A Manchester Man." He was author of Sermons on Passing Seasons and Events; Free Thoughts, being Selections from Articles contributed to Fraser's Magazine, 2 vols.; and two volumes of sermons entitled The Crisis of Youth.(7)

27th. December Friday
Rev George Hull Bowers D.D., died at Leamington, December 27. He was born in 1794, and educated at Clare College, Cambridge. He was the originator of Marlborough School and of Haileybury College. He held the deanery of Manchester from 1847 until his resignation, September 26, 1871. His works are Sermons preached before the University of Cambridge, 1830; A Scheme for the Foundation of Schools for the Sons of Clergymen and others, 1842; Sermons preached at St. Paul's, Covent Garden, 1849; Open Churches, with Endowments, preferable to Pew Rents, Manchester, 1855. On his retirement from the office of Dean of Manchester he retired to Leamington, where he died. He was twice married. One of his daughters, Georgiana Bowers, has distinguished herself by successful pictures of hunting and country life in Punch. Some of these have been issued in book form. He bequeathed 300 for the support of special Sunday evening services at the Manchester Cathedral. There is a window and a brass to his memory in that cathedral, and a portrait, by Charles Mercier, is at Rossall College.(7)

30th. December Monday
Michael Kennedy executed at the Salford Hundred County Prison, Strangeways, for the murder of his wife, Ann Kennedy, December 30.(7)