8th. January Wednesday
St. Martin's Church consecrated by Bishop Fraser, January 8. Messrs. Price and Linklater were the architects, and the cost of erection was £3,500.(7)

16th. January Thursday
Mr. John Fernley died at Southport, January 16, aged 76 years. Mr. Fernley was a munificent contributor to the various Wesleyan institutions, the donor of the school at Southport for the daughters of Wesleyan ministers, and the founder, at his sole cost, of the Religious Institute, in Corporation Street, for the use of the Bible Society, the City Mission, and the Religious Tract Society.(7)

Rev. Edward Mathews died at Manchester in January. His father was an engraver, of Bristol, who removed to Oxford, where Edward, the sixth of his family, was born March 12,1808. At the close of his apprenticeship he emigrated to New York, and became a student of the Hamilton Theological Institution there. An anti-slavery lecture, by Rev. Beriah Green, led to a riot, encouraged by the pro-slavery faculty of the college. Mathews became a Baptist minister, and gave the greater part of his life to the cause of temperance and the emancipation of the negro. His autobiography gives a vivid picture of the state of public feeling on the slavery question, both in the Northern and Southern States. He was frequently mobbed and ill-treated by pro-slavery ruffians. He agitated the matter so persistently that, when his pony was seen at a town where the Baptist Association was held, it would be said, "Ah! here is Mr. Mathew's pony; now we shall have to meet that slavery question again." In conjunction with Rev. A. T. Foss he drew up Facts for Baptist Churches on the anti-slavery question, and was sent as a missionary to Virginia and Kentucky. In the latter state, for preaching to a coloured congregation, he was thrown into a pond ten times in succession, in order to extort a pledge that he would never visit it again. In 1851 he returned to England to arouse the feeling of the churches against slavery. When he entered his father's shop in Oxford he was not recognised. He contributed to many English newspapers and periodicals on the subject he had so much at heart. Mrs. Stowe, in her novel of Dred, has given a portrait of Mathews under the name of "Father Dickson." He is buried In Ardwick Cemetery, Jan. 18. (See Autobiography of Rev. E. Mathews, Bristol, 1866; Alliance News, 1873, pp. 53 and 76.)(7)

14th. February Friday
The new market, provided by the Manchester Corporation, for the accommodation of wholesale dealers in fish, game, and poultry, was formally opened by the Mayor, in the presence of a large assembly, including several members of the Corporation, February 14. The style of architecture is Gothic, and the building was erected from designs by Messrs. Speakman and Son, at a cost of £42,000.(7)

23rd. February Sunday
Mr. lvie Mackie (of the firm of Findlater and Mackie) died February 23, aged 68. Mr. Mackie had always a warm interest in the municipal business of the city, and in 1847 was elected to represent Exchange Ward in the City Council. He was elected for that ward four times in succession, and in 1856 he was chosen alderman, and was assigned to New Cross Ward. In 1857 Mr. Mackie was elected to the civic chair, which he occupied for three successive years. He was a munificent contributor to the various local charities, and presented the city with the excellent clock in the steeple of St. Peter's Church.(7)

31st. March Monday
Mr. Joseph Jordan, F.R.C.S., died at Hampstead, March 31. He was born in Manchester, 1786. He was a man of eminence in the medical profession, and was the author of Traitement des Pseudarthroses, Paris, 1860.(7)

1st. May Thursday
Ralph Waldo Emerson visited Manchester, and for two days in May was the guest of Mr. Alexander Ireland, and had thus an opportunity of meeting again some of the friends and acquaintances of 1847-8 (Ireland's Emerson.)(7)

11th. June Wednesday
Mr. J. F. W. Tatham was elected medical officer of health for the borough of Salford, June 11.(7)

27th. June Friday
Nassr-ed-Din, the Shah of Persia, visited Manchester June 27. He was accompanied by his chief ministers. An address was presented to him at the Town Hall by the Corporation. The Shah also visited the manufactory of Mr Haworth, Salford.(7)

Mr. Daniel Stone, F.C.S., died at Cheadle, in June. He was born at Manchester in 1821. He was at one time hon. secretary of the Mechanics' Institute, and lecturer on chemistry at the School of Medicine. He was the author of The Rochdale Co-operative Stores-a Village Address, and pamphlets on chemistry and medicine.(7)

28th. August Thursday
Mr. William Winstanley Hull died August 28. He was the son of Mr. John Hull, M.D., and was born March 15, 1794, at Manchester. He was educated at the Grammar School, and at Brasenose College, Oxford. He was called to the bar in 1820, and continued to practise until 1846. Mr. Hull was the author of a number of works relating to the Church of England. (School Register, vol. iii., p. 36.)(7)

28th. August Thursday
Mr. John Meadowcraft died August 28. He was born at Salford in 1826, and educated at the Grammar School. At the age of eight he entered the Cathedral Choir, and his life was devoted to the improvement of church and popular music. (City News Notes and Queries 1462, 1480.)(7)

8th. September Monday
Mr. William Gibb died at Hunter's Quay, Argyllshire, September 8. He was a native of Ayr, where he was born in 1800, but came to Manchester in 1832, where he remained until his retirement in 1866. It was to his energy that the town was chiefly indebted for the establishment of bonded warehouses. He was a member of the Town Council from 1847 to 1859, and contested Stockport in 1857 and Bolton in 1863 as a Conservative. A subscription portrait, painted by Daniel Macree, R.S.A., is in the Royal Exchange. Mr. Gibb was a member of the Chamber of Commerce and chairman of the Manchester Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.(7)

24th. September Wednesday
A fire at the Athenĉum, Bond Street, September 24, caused damage estimated at £12,000.(7)

7th. October Tuesday
The new Owens College, Oxford Road, was opened to the students Oct. 7. The first stone of this building was laid by the Duke of Devonshire, the president of the College, September, 1870. The structure, designed by Mr. Alfred Waterhouse, is of the Domestic-Gothic style, and formed one side of what was ultimately designed to become a quadrangle, with a facade fronting Oxford Road. It consists of-(1) the basement, which contains the chemical theatre, museum, and lecture laboratory, six rooms for natural philosophy, students' common and examination rooms, engineering classrooms, engineering and geological museums, lavatories, &c., for the students, and numerous store-rooms; (2) a ground floor, on which are located the boardroom, secretary and clerks' rooms, lecture-rooms and apparatus-rooms for natural philosophy, large arts classroom, engineering rooms and drawing office, mathematical lecture-room, entrance to the chemical theatre, lavatories, porters' rooms, and store-rooms; (3) a first floor, containing arts classrooms, natural history classrooms and museum, rooms for the principal and professors, students' reading-room, the library, freehand drawing-room, several classrooms, professors' common room, lavatories, &c.; and (4) spacious attics, which are used as a temporary museum. Behind this, the main building, is the chemical laboratory block, which is said to be the most complete building of its kind in the kingdom. In and fronting Coupland Street the medical school has been erected. Amongst those present at the opening ceremony were the Duke of Devonshire, Mr. Thomas Ashton, Mr. A. Waterhouse, the Bishop of Manchester, Mr. H. Cole, the College staff, and many leading citizens.(7)

7th. October Tuesday
A branch free library, Regent Road, Salford, was opened October 7, by the mayor. The cost was about £3,000.(7)

9th. October Thursday
Mr. George Ormerod, D.C.L., F.H.S., died at his seat, Sedbury Park, near Chepstow, October 9. He was born at Manchester, October 20, 1785, and educated at Brasenose College, Oxford, where he graduated M.A. in 1807, and D.C.L. in 1818. His chief work is The History of the County Palatine and City of Chester, 3 vols., 1819. In addition to this he wrote a number of works, which were privately printed. One of these, Parentalia, is an account of his own family.(7)

24th. October Friday
Dr. Frederick Crace Calvert died October 24, aged 54 years. He was born near London, but for many years had lived in Manchester, where he enjoyed a high reputation as an analytical chemist.(7)

12th. November Wednesday
The second triennial election for a School Board for Manchester took place November 12. There were twenty-one candidates for the fifteen seats.(7)

25th. November Tuesday
The second election of the Salford School Board took place November 25. There were seventeen candidates for the fifteen seats. Mr. Herbert Birley was again elected chairman of the two bodies.(7)

17th. December Wednesday
Mr. Thomas Turner, F.R.C.S., died at Manchester, December 17. He was born at Truro, August 16, 1793, and lived in Manchester for 57 years. He wrote an Address to the inhabitants of Lancashire on the Medical Profession, 1825. A Memoir of him was published in 1875.(7)

23rd. December Tuesday
Mr. Mark Philips, the first M.P. for Manchester under the first Reform Act, died at his residence, Welcombe, Stratford-on-Avon, December 23, aged 73 years. He was born November 4, 1800, at the Park, near Manchester. His father, Mr. Robert Philips, was a prosperous merchant, at that time a partner in the old-established firm of J. and N. Philips and Co. On the completion of his school education at Nottingham he was sent to the Manchester College York, and there pursued his studies from 1816 to 1818, He also spent two years at the Glasgow University. In 1825 Mr Philips was actively engaged in commercial undertakings in Manchester, and became chairman of the New Quay Company, then newly established. The first time he took a public part in politics is said to have been at a meeting in Manchester, on August 19, 1826. It was held to express opinions on the sufferings of the working classes, and the evils of the Corn Law, and in opposition to timid men of the Liberal side who regarded such a movement as dangerous to the public peace. From that time forth his name was to be found in the lists of similar local gatherings. On June 7,1832, the Reform Bill became law, and Manchester was enfranchised, and admitted to a share in the government of the country. The first election took place in the December following. The Conservatives put forward their claims in Mr. John Thomas Hope, the Radicals in Mr. William Cobbett, the Whigs in Mr. Samuel Jones Loyd, and the Reformers in Mr. Mark Philips and Mr. Charles Poulett Thomson. The poll opened with great spirit, and resulted in the return of Mr. Philips and the Right Hon. C. P. Thomson. In 1847 Mr. Philips after representing Manchester for fifteen years, retired into private life and purchasing an estate in Warwickshire, was soon immersed in the duties and interests of a country life. At the Manchester election in 1857 Mr Philips joined the opposition which threw out Mr Gibson and Mr Bright, but he did not desert the Liberal party, and his last public appearance in Manchester was at the banquet in the Free Trade Hall, in October 1871 to celebrate the opening of the Manchester Reform Club. He was a liberal supporter of all the charitable and educational institutions of the city, and of the scheme for establishing public parks one of which is named in his honour.(7)

A Temperance conference held in the Free Trade Hall, when it was decided to start "The United Templar Order." This was in consequence of some controversy in the Independent Order of Good Templars. (Winskill's Temperance Reformation, p. 483.)(7)

The Art Union of Great Britain, which had its offices in Manchester, was dissolved by the Board of Trade refusing to continue its sanction after July 15, in consequence of the dissatisfaction expressed at its management, and two commissioners were appointed to inquire and report. The Art Union began in 1860.(7)

In 1873, during the making of some roads in Broughton Park, the work­men came upon a cinerary urn containing calcined bones. It is now in the Peel Park Museum, Salford.(7)