4th. January Monday
Mr. Charles Calvert, manager of the Prince's Theatre, was entertained to dinner on Monday, January 4, at the Queen's Hotel, by a number of gentlemen connected with art, literature, and commerce. Mr. Tom Taylor, M.A., editor of Punch, presided. Mr. Calvert had held the position of manager for ten years, and his term of office had been distinguished especially by a series of Shakespearian revivals.(7)

16th. January Saturday
Mr. Robert Milligan Shipman died on Saturday, January 16, aged 57. A native of Hinckley, in Leicestershire, where he was born in 1817, he came to Manchester in 1845, as managing clerk to Messrs. Atkinson and Saunders. In 1848 he was taken into partnership by Messrs. Sale and Worthington. As a lawyer he was especially distinguished for his knowledge of bankruptcy law and practice. He was a director of the Manchester Athenĉum, and hon. sec. to the committee of the Model Secular School. Mr. Shipman was a Liberal and a Unitarian, and was chairman of the Unitarian Home Missionary Board.(7)

18th. January Monday
Dr. Edward Vaughan Kenealy and Mr. Guildford Onslow, M.P., addressed crowded meetings at the Free Trade Hall on January 18 and 19. The trial of the Claimant was the subject, and at the second meeting a petition to Parliament was adopted, praying for the release of the Claimant, the removal of the judges who tried him from the Bench, and the abolition of the Society of Gray's Inn.(7)

21st. January Thursday
Lord Chief Justice Cockburn visited Manchester on Thursday, January 21, and was the guest of Sir E. Watkin, MP., at Northenden. On Friday he visited the Town Hall, where he was presented with an address by the Corporation. Subsequently the Lord Chief Justice, the Marquis and Marchioness of Salisbury, Mr. Roebuck, M.P., and Miss Roebuck, inspected the loan collection of pictures and other works of art at the Athenĉum, visited the Owens College, and went on 'Change. Next day the Marquis of Salisbury received an address from the Chamber of Commerce, and afterwards, in the company of the Lord Chief Justice and others, visited Peel Park, where they lunched with the Mayor of Salford.(7)

22nd. January Friday
On the afternoon of Friday, January 22, the Manchester Chamber of Commerce entertained the Marquis of Salisbury and other guests to luncheon at the Queen's Hotel.(7)

22nd. January Friday
A grand soiree to celebrate the reconstruction and renovation of the Athenĉum was held on Friday January 22, at the Free Trade Hall. The Right Hon. Sir A. E. Cockburn, Lord Chief Justice of England, presided, and gave an address on the objects of the Institution. The Marquis of Salisbury also addressed the meeting.(7)

26th. January Tuesday
A large meeting in favour of Disestablishment was held in the Free Trade Hall, January 26.(7)

30th. January Saturday
Mr Blackburne the celebrated chess player visited Manchester on January 30, and played blindfolded against ten members of the Athenĉum Chess Club, with the result that he lost one game, won five, and four were drawn.(7)

30th. January Saturday
The Theatre Royal passed into the hands of a limited company during the week ending January 30th.(7)

8th. February Monday
A meeting was held on February 8, for the purpose of formally organising in the city a Hospital for Consumption and Diseases of the Throat.(7)

10th. February Wednesday
Professor William Smith, F.R.C.S., died suddenly at his consulting rooms in Mosley Street, February 10, aged 60 years. Mr. Smith was appointed dispensing surgeon to the Infirmary in 1847 and surgeon in 1849. He was a lecturer at the Pine Street School of Medicine, and on the amalgamation of that institution with the medical department of the Owens College he was appointed to the chair of general anatomy and physiology.(7)

13th. February Saturday
A Board of Trade inquiry at the Town Hall, with regard to the objections to new tramways, February 13.(7)

21st. February Sunday
Mr. Robert Hyde Greg died at his house, Norcliffe, near Styal, February 21. Mr. Greg was the son of Samuel Greg, and was born in King Street in 1795, and finished his education at the Edinburgh University, and afterwards spent two years in Greece and Italy. In 1821 he was one of the commissioners for widening Market Street. In 1824 Mr. Greg married Miss Philips, sister of Mr. Mark Philips, and in 1832 he was chairman of the committee for promoting the candidature of his brother-in-law. In 1839 he himself was elected M.P. for Manchester, and remained representative till 1841. During the Corn Law agitation he rendered great assistance to the League. For the last forty years of his life he had lived retired at Norcliffe. He was buried at Dean Row Chapel.(7)

24th. February Wednesday
The exhibition of Mr. Frederick James Shields' pictures, at the Royal Institution, opened by a conversazione, on Wednesday, February 24. The exhibition was held in consequence of Mr. Shields leaving Manchester, and some 170 pictures, the work of about twenty years, were exhibited. He was entertained at dinner at the Queen's Hotel, March 3. A report of the proceedings was published in pamphlet form.(7)

4th. March Thursday
A deputation from the Chamber of Commerce waited on the Chancellor of the Exchequer on March 4, in order to call attention to the defective post-office accommodation in Manchester. When the building in Brown Street was erected in 1840, the population of Manchester and Salford, and their suburbs, was about two hundred thousand, and the postages collected during a year about £52,000. Prior to 1861 the upper part had been used as the police court of the borough, but the needs created by the money-order and savings bank swallowed this portion of the building. Since 1861 the number of clerks had doubled, letter carriers and sorters had increased from 117 to 272, the weekly delivery of letters had risen from 401,000 to 927,000, the letters posted had increased from 485,000 to 1,134,000, and the money-orders from 295,000 to 364,000.(7)

15th. March Monday
The sale at Manley Hall, the residence of Mr. Sam Mendel, commenced March 15 and lasted four days, the total sum realised being about £18,000.(7)

20th. March Saturday
During the week ending March 20 a new system, by Mr. Joseph Challender, of Manchester, of lighting public clocks was brought into use. By means of a reflecting apparatus, two gas jets were made to throw as much light on the dial as the eight or nine previously used. A trial was made upon All Saints' clock with such success that St. Thomas's, Ardwick Green, was adapted to illumination. The work was executed by Messrs. Arnold and Lewis, of St. Ann's Square, who added a piece of machinery so that the clock gradually turned on the gas as darkness came on and also turned it off as daylight appeared.(7)

21st. March Sunday
Mr. Sidney Potter died, March 21, aged 69. He was a calico printer, and represented All Saints' Ward in the Town Council from 1844 to 1850. His widow, Louisa, daughter of Mr. Samuel Kay, published in 1879 a charming volume of Lancashire Memories. (Baker's Memorials, page 125.)(7)

24th. March Wednesday
The first of a series of promenade concerts at the Prince's Theatre was held on March 24, under the guidance of M. Riviere.(7)

30th. March Tuesday
A banquet in aid of the Royal Albert Asylum was held in the Hall of the Assize Courts on Tuesday, March 30.(7)

1st. April Thursday
The new line between Manchester and Bolton, in connection with the London and North Western Railway system, was opened on April 1. The line is 121/4 miles long, and cost, including stations, about £140,000.(7)

1st. April Thursday
The first Pullman car between London and Manchester arrived by the Midland Railway at the London Road Station on April 1, shortly after 10, having left St. Pancras Station at 5-15 a.m.(7)

2nd. April Friday
Alfred Thomas Heap, a quack doctor, of Hyde Road, convicted of the murder of a young woman, Margaret M'Kivett, and sentenced to be hanged, April 2.(7)

3rd. April Saturday
The first prize meeting of the Manchester Rifle Association took place on the ranges at Astley on April 3.(7)

6th. April Tuesday
The performance of Much Ado About Nothing by the Athenĉum Dramatic Reading Society took place in the new lecture hall at the Athenĉum, April 6.(7)

6th. April Tuesday
A bazaar and fancy fair, on behalf of the Sick Children's Hospital, was held at the Free Trade Hall on April 6 and following days, and realised £21,550.(7)

14th. April Wednesday
Mr. Thomas Wright, the Prison Philanthropist, died April 14. He was born at Manchester, September 20, 1789, but was of Scotch extraction. His mother was an attender at Cross Street Chapel, but joined the Wesleyans, and at a Sunday school of that body he was educated. He was apprenticed as an ironfounder, and after a brief period of indifference he became a zealous Congregationalist, and for more than half a century was a deacon in the Grosvenor Street (Piccadilly) Chapel. A discharged convict happened to be employed at the same workshop, and Thomas Wright undertook to guarantee his good behaviour by a deposit of £20, but the order for his discharge was by accident not countermanded, and he left the town. Wright followed, and overtook the wretched fugitive, and brought him back. In this way his attention was directed to prison inmates, and in 1838 he obtained permission to visit the Salford prison. He became the prisoners' friend, and obtained honest employment for many who would otherwise have become habitual criminals. One of the ticket-of-leave men for whom he obtained the post of a scavenger for the Manchester Corporation was afterwards ordained as a clergyman. The value of Mr. Wright's labours led the Government to offer him the post of travelling inspector of prisons at a salary of £800. This he declined, but in 1852 accepted a testimonial of £3,248 (partly sunk in an annuity), the result of a voluntary subscription. This enabled him to give up his situation in the foundry, and to devote his entire time and energy to the reclamation of criminals. It is creditable to his sagacity that as long ago as 1856 he saw the necessity of compulsory education. The noble simplicity of his life, the earnestness with which he obeyed the injunction to "remember those in bonds," impressed all who knew him. When the apostolic figure was removed by death there were thousands to mourn for one who had been a friend to the friendless. He is buried at Birch Church. Further details of his career are given in MeDermid's Life of Thomas Wright, Manchester, 1876.(7)

14th. April Wednesday
A conference of local boards was held at the Town Hall on April 14, for the purpose of trying to come to some arrangement by which the assistance of the Corporation fire brigade might be afforded to the out townships in case of fire. Owing, however, to one or two boards objecting to the charge they would have to pay, nothing was decided.(7)

15th. April Wednesday
The memorial stones of two new schools of the Manchester School Board were laid April 15, one in Every Street, Ancoats, and one in Chester Street, Ardwick.(7)

7th. May Friday
The second great international show of horses, mules, and donkeys, opened May 7, at the Pomona Gardens.(7)

8th. May Saturday
The committee of the Hospital Sunday and Saturday Fund distributed £7,200 amongst the different charities, being £600 less than the previous year. May 8.(7)

14th. May Friday
The second exhibition organised by the Society for the Promotion of Scientific Industry was opened in a temporary building erected for the purpose, near Queen's Road, Cheetham, on May 14. The exhibition was one for the display of appliances for economy of labour.(7)

14th. May Friday
The distribution of prizes in connection with the voluntary examination of Sunday school teachers and scholars of the Cathedral Rural Deanery took place at the Town Hall, King Street, May 14.(7)

29th. May Saturday
A fifth Provident Dispensary was established in Ashton New Road, Beswick, May 29.(7)

31st. May Monday
Mr. Matthew Brougham, for twenty-three years a member of the City Council, died May 31, aged 73. He entered the council in November, 1851, as the representative of St. John's Ward, and retained his seat until 1854. In 1856 he was again elected, and he continued to represent the ward until November, 1868, when he was made an alderman. He remained in the council until November, 1874, when he retired. During his connection with the corporation he served on most of the committees, and notably on the Markets Committee, of which he was chairman.(7)

1st. June Tuesday
Mr. Thomas Lawton, of Whaley Bridge, died June 1, aged 42. Originally an elementary schoolmaster, he became visiting agent and organiser of the Lancashire and Cheshire Union of Institutes, which position he held for fourteen years. To his zeal and untiring industry many of the smaller towns and villages of both counties owe the establishment of their mechanics' institutions, and to him mainly is due the origination of science classes working under the direction of the Science and Art Department, for the benefit of the artisan class in the whole of this populous district. Prior to his death Mr. Lawton had put forth a scheme for the foundation of a central science school in Manchester, and had enlisted the co-operation of several large employers of labour in the neighbourhood.(7)

3rd. June Thursday
Mr. Richard Baverstock Brown Cobbett, solicitor, died at Wilmslow, June 3, aged 61. Born 1804, Mr. Cobbett attained great repute as a pleader early in his professional practice, when he defended some of the Chartists and others. Mr. Cobbett was secretary to the Council of the Manchester Political Union, which got up the great demonstration on Kersal Moor in 1838. He was author of some legal pamphlets. He was a son of Mr. William Cobbett, M.P., the famous Radical.(7)

4th. June Friday
Grand fetes were held at Manley Hall, June 4 and 5. The attractions consisted of the bands of the Grenadier Guards and Scots Fusilier Guards, illumination of the large fernery, and the roses and rhododendrons in full bloom.(7)

14th. June Monday
The third annual meeting of the Manchester Aquarium Company, June 14. A dividend of ten per cent. was declared, and £500 carried forward as a reserve fund.(7)

14th. June Monday
The first athletic festival under the auspices of the Northern Counties Olympian Association commenced on Monday, June 14, and continued all the week.(7)

16th. June Wednesday
A painful sensation caused by the announcement of the failure of Messrs. Alexander Collie and Co., of Aytoun Street, Manchester, and London, with liabilities estimated at about £3,000,000, June 16. The head of the firm subsequently absconded to Spain.(7)

23rd. June Wednesday
Alderman Alfred Watkin died, June 23. He was the son of Mr. Absalom Watkin, and brother of Sir E. W. Watkin, Bart. He entered the City Council, on November 1, 1858, became alderman March 10, 1869, and served the office of mayor during 1873-4.(7)

26th. June Saturday
A new society, under the title of the Manchester Phonetic Shorthand Writers' Association, held its first meeting during the week ending June 26, at the rooms of the Young Men's Christian Association, Piccadilly.(7)

29th. June Tuesday
38 and 39 Victoria, cap. 101. Act to confer additional powers on the Corporation of the Borough of Salford, for the improvement and good government of the said borough, and for the laying down of tramways in and near thereto, and for the raising of further moneys, and for other purposes. June 29.(7)

3rd. July Saturday
The members of the Liverpool Architectural and Archĉological Society visited Manchester, July 3, on the occasion of their annual excursion.(7)

4th. July Sunday
Captain C. H. Lane, Governor of the City Gaol since its erection in 1850, died on July 4, aged 75. His father, an old naval captain, was governor of Dartmoor Gaol when it was used for the detention of French prisoners of war. The son, who was born at Lympstone, near Exeter, entered the army when 16, and became successively paymaster of his regiment and then captain. After 33 years' service he left the army to occupy the position in which he died.(7)

5th. July Monday
A town's meeting was held at the Town Hall on July 5, in support of the Sunday Closing Bills for England and Ireland before the House of Commons, and a petition to Parliament for the suppression of the sale of intoxicating drinks on the Sunday adopted.(7)

7th. July Wednesday
A meeting of citizens was held in the mayor's parlour on July 7, for the purpose of adopting means for the relief of sufferers by the recent inundations in France, and over £320 was promised in the room.(7)

8th. July Thursday
Seyyid Barghash, Sultan of Zanzibar, visited Manchester on July 8 and 9. Amongst other objects of interest he was shown the Egerton cotton mills, Peel Park, the Assize Courts, the Royal Exchange, Messrs. Hoyle's printworks, the new Town Hall, and Manley Hall.(7)

13th. July Tuesday
Rev. Henry Ollerenshaw, Congregational minister at Hull, died at Hull, July 13. He was born in Manchester, January 27, 1819, and was editor of the Hull and East Riding Magazine. (Congregational Year Book, 1876.)(7)

19th. July Monday
38 and 39 Victoria. Act for enabling the mayor, aldermen, and citizens of the City of Manchester to extend their waterworks, and to make street improvements, for consolidating the assets and liabilities of the several townships of the city, and for other purposes. July 19.(7)

28th. July Wednesday
A portrait of Mr. W. R. Callender, M.P., was presented to the Athenĉum on July 28, by a committee formed for the purpose. Mr. Callender had been honorary secretary for sixteen years. The commission for the portrait was placed in the hands of Mr. William Percy, of Manchester.(7)

31st. July Saturday
A rifle match took place at Carlisle on July 31, between twenty members of the First Manchester and twenty of the First Lanark (Glasgow) Volunteers. In the end the Scotchmen won by 37 points, thus reversing the previous year's record, when Manchester won by 28 points.(7)

6th. August Friday
The sixth Provident Dispensary having been opened in Livsey Street, a meeting was held on August 6, in the Bennett Street Schools, for the purpose of expounding the principles and advantages of the system.(7)

7th. August Saturday
Saturday, August 7th, and the following Thursday and Friday, will be noted for the heavy thunderstorms which took place. Flashes of lightning followed one another with appalling rapidity, whilst the thunder resembled the roar of a battery of huge guns. Considerable damage was done to property by the lightning, and in one instance, where it struck a house, it passed along the gas pipes and set the carpet, which was being taken up, on fire. A joiner working near, who ran to assist in extinguishing the flames, was knocked down by a second discharge, but not seriously hurt.(7)

14th. August Saturday
During the week ending August 14 the new Manchester and Stockport line of the Midland Railway was opened for traffic.(7)

14th. August Saturday
The sixty-eighty annual conference of the Swedenborgians, or New Church, was held in Manchester during the week ending August 14, under the presidency of the Rev. Dr. Jonathan Bayley, of London.(7)

18th. August Wednesday
Rev. John Hyde, minister of the New Church (Swedenborgian), Peter Street, died August 18. He was born at London, February 26, 1833. At one time he was a member of the Mormon Church at London, but abandoned that creed and wrote a book against the Mormon doctrines. He was also the author of Lectures on the Resurrection, on Swedenborg, on the Serpent that Beguiled Eve, The Child's Catechism. He wrote a considerable number of hymns, and compiled the supplement to the New Church Hymn Book, besides writing a number of tracts. He was also the author of several successful papers on education, and his essay on "International Arbitration," read at a conference in the Manchester Town Hall, was pronounced by a high authority to be one of the most exhaustive considerations of the subject ever written. (Intellectual Repository, October, 1875.)(7)

23rd. August Monday
Mr. Murray Gladstone died suddenly at his residence, Penmaenmawr, August 23. He was born in Liverpool. In early life he was a civil engineer, but in 1844 became a junior partner in the firm of Ogilvy, Gilanders, and Co., and went to Calcutta to assume the direction of the business of that branch of his firm. About 1850 he returned to England and became head of the Manchester branch of Gladstone, Latham and Co. He was a trustee of the Infirmary, and from September, 1861, to June, 1864, was treasurer of that institution. He was a governor of the Owens College, a feoffee of the Grammar School, and chairman of the Royal Exchange. Until a few years before his death he resided in Higher Broughton, and his house, with some alterations, became the Bishop's Court.(7)

7th. September Tuesday
The seventh annual meeting of the members of the Iron and Steel Institute of Great Britain was held in Manchester on September 7 and following days.(7)

9th. September Thursday
A congress of homoeopathic practitioners was held at the Palatine Hotel on September 9, under the presidency of Dr. Boyes.(7)

10th. September Friday
The Baroness Burdett Coutts paid a visit to Manchester on September 10, on the inauguration by her of the drinking fountain at New Cross, erected at her expense. The opportunity was taken to present an address from the City Council, and to entertain her ladyship at luncheon.(7)

15th. September Wednesday
Mr. Joseph Barker died at Omaha, Nebraska, September 15. He was born in 1806, at Bramley, near Leeds, and after self-education became a notable man amongst the Wesleyans, whom he left for the Methodist New Connexion. Afterwards he was the founder of a sect of "Barkerites," then a Quaker, then a Unitarian, then a free-thinker, then an atheist. He was an ardent politician, and in 1848 was arrested and confined for a night in the borough gaol of Manchester. He was tried at Liverpool Assizes, but a nolle prosequi was entered and he escaped. In 1851 he settled in the United States, where he was an active abolitionist. He returned to England in 1860, and after associating with the Secularists, returned to Christianity, and became a local preacher amongst the Primitive Methodists. In his last residence in England he was an advocate of the South in the War of the Secession. His last years were spent in Nebraska. Mr. Barker was for many years a frequent lecturer in Manchester, and though, we believe, never permanently resident, was exceedingly well known in the town. The Life of ,Joseph Barker, edited by his nephew, J. T. Barker (London, 1880), is the best account of his career, but it is marred by some inaccuracies and suppressions.(7)

15th. September Wednesday
At a meeting of the Manchester French Inundations Relief Committee, held on September 15 at the Town Hall, King Street, the mayor, as treasurer, reported that a sum of £1,598 had been collected.(7)

24th. September Friday
A serious collision took place at Miles Platting on September 24, the 1-40 p.m. express from Leeds to Liverpool being, by a defective point, turned on to a line along which a goods train was coming, the result being considerable damage to rolling-stock and serious injuries to several passengers.(7)

30th. September Thursday
A bazaar in aid of Mr. Birch's Orphanage at Cornbrook was opened on September 30 at the Free Trade Hall. It was originally intended to hold it in a large tent in the playground of the Orphanage, but the gale of the previous Sunday blew the tent down.(7)

1st. October Friday
The first number of a new periodical, the Athenĉum Gazette, appeared October 1. It was intended as an organ of all the societies connected with that institution, but it did not have a long existence.(7)

2nd. October Saturday
A conference of delegates from Band of Hope Unions was held under the auspices of the Lancashire and Cheshire Union, in the drawing-room of the Free Trade Hall, October 2. Representatives were present from the chief towns, and papers were read and discussed on Band of Hope work.(7)

8th. October Friday
A town's meeting was held in the Town Hall, King Street, on October 8, to protest against the circular of the Admiralty instructing commanders of English vessels to restore slaves to their "owners."(7)

12th. October Tuesday
Mr. Charles James Stanley Walker died October 12. He was the son of Mr. Thomas Walker, boroughreeve in 1791, and was born February 25, 1788. He began early in life to take an interest in the Reform question. In 1838 he was elected councillor for New Cross Ward, and on December 15, 1838, he was chosen alderman for the same ward. In 1841 he became a member of the Board of Guardians, and from 1813 to 1855 he was chairman of the board. He resigned the latter office and also his aldermanship in order that he might devote all his time to his magisterial duties. He was a J.P. for Lancashire and Manchester.(7)

15th. October Friday
Professor F. W. Newman delivered a lecture at the Athenĉum on the "Re-organisation of English Institutions," October 15.(7)

21st. October Thursday
A meeting of the justices was held on October 21 for the purpose of electing a governor for the City Gaol, and, out of eight selected candidates, Captain H. M. Borton, deputy governor, Convict Prison, Portsmouth, was elected.(7)

29th. October Friday
Mr. W. S. Lawn, secretary to the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway Company, died very suddenly on October 29. He was present at the annual meeting of the Household Stores Association in the Memorial Hall, and having just concluded a speech was observed to faint. A doctor who was present tried the usual means to restore consciousness, but in about ten minutes it was announced that life was extinct.(7)

30th. October Saturday
The Pantechnicon, in Egerton Street, Hulme, was totally destroyed by fire on October 30. The fire raged for seven hours in spite of the efforts of the brigade, and damage estimated at between £60,000 and £70,000 was done.(7)

31st. October Sunday
Mr. Humphrey Nichols died on October 31. Mr. Nichols was born in 1791, and while still a minor the position of clerk to the Collegiate Church was purchased for him for £1,400. He was remarkable for the very erratic manner in which he gave his money to the various charities, not infrequently giving notes for hundreds of pounds without any covering to the servant, desiring him to give them to his master-the secretary, or the treasurer, or institution he desired to benefit, He is believed to have given during his life-time about £87,000.(7)

1st. November Monday
Mr. C. A. Seymour, the leader of Mr. C. Halle's orchestra, died November 1. He was born in 1810, and became leader of Queen Adelaide's private band. On the accession of Queen Victoria, Mr. Seymour accepted the leadership of the Gentlemen's Concerts.(7)

4th. November Thursday
The first Diocesan Conference ever held in this diocese commenced on November 4, at the Town Hall. The conference consisted of 426 members, official and elected, of whom 153 were clergy and 273 laity.(7)

24th. November Wednesday
Mr. Joseph Chattwood died November 24. He was the first president of the Manchester Literary Club. He is buried at Prestwich Church.(7)

24th. November Wednesday
In connection with the Literary Club a valuable exhibition of works of art in black and white and monochrome was held on November 24 and three following days at Mr. Hamer's Gallery, St. Ann's Passage. This was the first public exhibition of the kind in Manchester.(7)

29th. November Monday
Mr. Thomas Jones, B.A., F.S.A., died at Southport November 29. He was born at Underhill, Margam, near Neath, Gloucestershire, in 1810. He was educated at Cowbridge Grammar School, and went first to Cambridge and then to Jesus College, Oxford, where he took the B.A. degree in 1832. His excessive shyness would have been a bar to success either in the Church or at the Bar, but, fortunately, in 1845 he was appointed librarian of Chetham's Library, a position which he retained until his death. His extensive reading is shown by the various contributions to Notes and Queries of Bibliothecarius Chethamensis. He edited for the Chetham Society a Catalogue of the Popery Tracts in the Chetham Library (1859-65), and had made collections for a life of Dr. John Dee. (See Papers of the Manchester Literary Club, vol. ii., p. 59.)(7)

30th. November Tuesday
The first annual social celebration of St. Andrew's Day by the Manchester and Salford Caledonian Club took place on November 30, at the Falstaff Waste Exchange, when about 200 persons sat down to supper.(7)

30th. November Tuesday
A special meeting of the city magistrates was held on November 30, when Captain Anstruther, of the Perth prison, was appointed governor of the City Gaol, in place of Captain Borton, who was appointed six weeks before but had resigned.(7)

1st. December Wednesday
At the close of the ordinary meeting of the City Council, on December 1, the statue of Oliver Cromwell was presented to the citizens of Manchester by Alderman Heywood, on behalf of Mrs. Heywood. The statue was the work of Mr. Noble, and was presented by Mrs. Heywood in memory of her late husband, Alderman Goadsby.(7)

6th. December Monday
Sir Stafford Northcote, M.P., Chancellor of the Exchequer, addressed a crowded meeting at the Free Trade Hall on December 6.(7)

15th. December Wednesday
A conference of the members and friends of the National Reform Union was held in the Free Trade Hall on December 15, and was followed by a public meeting in the evening.(7)

28th. December Tuesday
The copper ball on the summit of the Albert Square tower of the New Town Hall was placed in position by the Mayor (Alderman Curtis) on December 28. The ball is about 2ft. 8in. in diameter, and has a number of spikes projecting from the surface about seven inches in length, and weighs 2cwt. 22lb. The base weighs 10st. 8lb., and the height from the bottom of the base to the top of the ball is 5ft.91/2in.(7)

The first exhibition of Works of Art in Black and White organised by the Manchester Literary Club. (Papers of Manchester Literary Club, vol. ii., p. 162).(7)

A special meeting of the Manchester Literary Club was held at the Free Reference Library in Campfield, to examine a portion of the rare books in the collection, and to hear an address about them by Mr. Wm. E. A. Axon. This was the first exhibition of the kind out of London.(7)