Clifton, a township in the parish of Eccles, hundred of Salford, 5 miles N.W. from Manchester. Inhabitants 1168. Here are mines abounding with coal of excellent quality. The ancient mansion of Clifton Hall was once the seat of a branch of the family of Holland.
Wood Crate, a hamlet in the township of Clifton, parish of Eccles, hundred of Salford, 5½ miles N.W. from Manchester.
(3) The New Lancashire Gazetteer or Topographical Dictionary 1830