Clifton is a township and station on the Lancashire and Yorkshire railway, in the parish of Eccles, on the main road from Manchester to Bolton, 5½ miles south - east from Bolton, 6 south from Bury, 14½ from Burnley, 16 from Chorley, 5½ north - west from Manchester, in the South - Eastern division of the county, hundred of Salford, union of Barton - upon - Irwell, Salford county court district, rural deanery of Eccles, archdeaconry and diocese of Manchester, province of York. Divine service is performed in a building formerly used as a school; a church, to be named St. Anne's, is being erected. The Rev. Thomas Wilson is the curate in charge, under the vicar of Eccles. Here is a National school, also an infant school. The trustees of the late J. F. Fletcher, esq., are lords of the manor and chief landowners. The soil is clay; subsoil gravel. The land is chiefly in pasture. The area is 1,194 acres, of which 35 are water; gross estimated rental, £18,903; rateable value, £15,166; the population in 1871 was 2,366.
(2) Post Office Directory of Lancashire Excluding Manchester 1873