CROMPTON

1830

BURN EDGE

Burn Edge, a hamlet in the township of Crompton, parish of Prestwich cum Oldham, hundred of Salford, 2 miles S.E. from Rochdale.

CROMPTON

Crompton, a township in the parish of Oldham cum Prestwich, hundred of Salford. Inhabitants 6482. 10 miles N.E. from Manchester. This is a bleak and sterile district : it partakes of a portion of the cotton manufacture. The two separate hamlets, High and Low Crompton, give name to the township.

GREEN HILL

Green Hill, a hamlet in the township of Crompton, parish of Oldham, hundred of Salford, 3 miles S.E. from Rochdale.

HANGING CHADDER

Hanging Chadder, a hamlet in the township of Crompton, parish of Oldham, hundred of Salford, 3 miles N. from Oldham.

HEYSIDE

Heyside, a hamlet in the township of Crompton, parish of Oldham cum Prestwich, hundred of Salford, 2 miles N. from Oldham.

PARK HOUSES

Park Houses, a hamlet in the township of Crompton, parish of Oldham cum Prestwich, hundred of Salford, 4 miles S.E. from Rochdale.

SHAW CHAPEL

Shaw Chapel, a hamlet in the township of Crompton, parish of Prestwich cum Oldham, hundred of Salford, 3 miles N.N.E. from Oldham. In this place is an ancient chapel of ease.

WHITEFIELD

Whitefield, a hamlet in the township of Crompton, parish of Oldham cum Prestwich, hundred of Salford, 3 miles N. from Oldham.

(3) The New Lancashire Gazetteer or Topographical Dictionary 1830