DEAN PARISH

1830

DEAN

Dean, a parish in the hundred of Salford, 2 miles S.W. from Bolton. A discharged vicarage in the archdeaconry of Chester, value 4. Patron the lord chancellor. The village and church of Dean are situated in the township of Rumworth, in the population of which it is included. The parish is opulent and extensive, containing many flourishing establishments in various branches of the cotton manufacture, and several bleaching grounds. Here are also valuable coal mines. It contains the following townships :-

Inhabitants
Farnworth 2044
Halliwell 2288
Heaton 826
Hulton, Little 2465
Hulton, Middle 938
Hulton, Over 591
Horwich 2873
Kersley 1833
Rumworth 847
Westhoughton 4211
Entire population 18,916

(3) The New Lancashire Gazetteer or Topographical Dictionary 1830