DENTON

1830

DENTON

Denton, a chapelry in the parish of Manchester, hundred of Salford, 3 miles S.S.W. from Ashton-under-Line. Inhabitants 2012. Patron the earl of Wilton. This township is celebrated for its extensive manufacture of hats. Denton Hall was long the seat of a family of the same name.

SHEPLEY

Shepley, a hamlet in the township of Denton, parish of Manchester, hundred of Salford, 6 miles E. from Manchester. Here is Shepley Bridge, over the river Tame. Shepley Hall is the seat of John Lowe, esq.

(3) The New Lancashire Gazetteer or Topographical Dictionary 1830