Elton

  1853

Elton is a township extending in a south-easterly line into Bury, forming a most populous suburb to that town. The cotton manufacture in its various branches prevails here to a considerable extent. Brandlesholme Hall, the ancient seat of the Greenhalghes, and built in the reign of Elizabeth, is situated in this township, but the beauty and splendor, which were formerly attached to it, are eclipsed by the modern mansions which now surround it. All Saintís Church is a handsome edifice of stone, built in the Norman style of architecture, at a cost of £3400. The living is a perpetual curacy in the incumbency of the Rev. Thos. Potter. In connexion with the church is a Sunday school. Elton National School, for the accommodation of about 600 children, is a neat building of stone, in the Gothic style of architecture, opened in 1849. The cost of its erection was £1500, raised by subscription, aided by a government grant of £800. The church and school occupy a pleasant situation, and command a fine prospect extending over Bury and the neighbourhood. Attached to the school is a residence for the master, Mr. Thomas Hull.
(1) Whellan & Co.ís Directory 1853