Flixton, a parish and township in the hundred of Salford, 7 miles S.W. from Manchester. Inhabitants 1604. A perpetual curacy in the archdeaconry of Chester. Patron the prebendary of Flixton in the cathedral of Lichfield. Flixton Hall is the seat of Ralph Wright, esq. This parish is situated on the banks of the Mersey, and extends to the angle where it is joined by the Irwell. It contains the townships of :-
Shaw Town, a hamlet in the township and parish of Flixton, hundred of Salford, 7 miles S.W. from Manchester. Shaw Hall, in this place, is a curious old mansion, now occupied as a boarding school.
(3) The New Lancashire Gazetteer or Topographical Dictionary 1830