Great Heaton, a township in the parish of Prestwich cum Oldham, hundred of Salford, 4 miles N. from Manchester. Inhabitants 224. Heaton Hall, the seat of the earl of Wilton, is a modern structure from a design of the late Samuel Wyatt. The centre of the house is a semicircular projection, surmounted with a dome; on each side is a colonnade, terminated by a pavilion. It stands in the midst of a rich and well wooded park, in which, on a high spot of ground, is a circular temple, commanding extensive prospects towards the south and east.
(3) The New Lancashire Gazetteer or Topographical Dictionary 1830