HALLIWELL

1830

DOFFCOCKER

Doffcocker, a hamlet in the township of Halliwell, parish of Dean, hundred of Salford, 2 miles W.N.W. from Bolton.

HALLIWELL

Halliwell, a township in the parish of Dean, hundred of Salford, 2 miles N.W. from Bolton. Inhabitants 2288. In this township is Moss Bank, the seat of Richard Ainsworth, esq., and Smithells Hall, the seat of Peter Ainsworth, esq.: the latter is an ancient mansion, formerly belonging to the Ratcliff family, till the reign of Henry VII., and then to the Bartons, afterwards to the lords Fauconberg. It was originally built of timber and plaster; the east front is of stone; the house is quadrangular, situated in a wood above a small rocky glen. Here is still remaining a long wainscotted room, the panels of which are adorned with upwards of fifty heads cut in the wood, supposed to represent different branches of the Barton family. The hall has been visited, on a superstitions account, by zealous protestants, in order to view the supposed impression of a foot made in the stone floor as a confirmation of the truth of his opinions by George Marsh, a martyr in the reign of queen Mary, when brought for examination before Sir Roger Barton.

LOMAX WIVES

Lomax Wives, a hamlet in the township of Halliwell, parish of Dean, hundred of Salford, 3 miles N.W. from Bolton le Moors.

SHEPTON

Shepton, a hamlet in the township of Halliwell, parish of Dean, hundred of Salford, 1 mile W. from Bolton.

SMITHILLS DEAN

Smithills Dean, a hamlet in the township of Halliwell, parish of Dean, hundred of Salford, 5 miles N.W. from Bolton.
(3) The New Lancashire Gazetteer or Topographical Dictionary 1830