HARPURHEY

1841

Harpurhey, a township in the parish and parliamentary borough of Manchester, 2 miles N. of the town. Number of acres 165. Here is a neat church, built 1837-8. There are Wesleyan and Independent chapels. The silk trade prevails. The population 1801, 118; 1811, 172; 1821, 297; 1831, 463. Here is a publiccemetery, covers 12 acres, the entrance is strikingly elegant, cost 12,000, opened 1837. Value of property 1815, 725; 1829, 1,148.
(5) A Statistical Sketch of the County Palatine of Lancaster 1841 by Edwin Butterworth.