Heaton Norris, a township in the parish of Manchester, and partly in the town and parliamentary and corporate borough of Stockport, the remainder of which is in Cheshire, 6 miles S. of Manchester. The river Mersey here separates the parishes of Manchester and Stockport. Number of acres 2,126. The episcopal chapel was rebuilt in the last century, annual value of curacy £116; the erection of two episcopal chapels are projected. The Wesleyans, Independents, and Baptists, have chapels. The populous portion of the district elects nine of the town council of Stockport, who locally govern the borough. In 1825 there were about 12 cotton mills; in 1836, 20 : hands employed upwards of 5,000. The Manchester and Stockport canal terminates here; and the Manchester and Birmingham railway passes over the Mersey, by a Magnificent viaduct. In 1774 the number of houses was 130; 1831, 2,127. The population in 1774 was 769; 1801, 3,768; 1811, 5,232; 1821, 6,958; 1831, 11,238. In 1833 the daily schools were 21, sunday 7. The value of property in 1815 was £12,006; 1829, £33,584.
(5) A Statistical Sketch of the County Palatine of Lancaster 1841 by Edwin Butterworth.