Hulme is a township forming the S.S.W. suburb of Manchester, from which it is separated by the Medlock, it is a portion of the parish, parliamentary and corporate borough of Manchester. Number of acres 483. Sculptured stones of early date have been discovered. Hulme Hall is an interesting old pile. There is one church, St. George's, an elegant structure, built 1827, cost £20,000, annual value of curacy £235. The dissenters chapels are 3, Wesleyan, George-street; Independents, Jackson-street; Bible Christians, Christ Church. An act of parliament passed 1834 empowers certain duly qualified inhabitants to improve and regulate the township. Hulme is divided into two corporate wards. There are 3 or 4 cotton mills, the number of hands in which in 1836 was 854. The river Irwell flows to the west, and the Duke of Bridgewater's canal passes here. In 1773-4 the houses amounted to 30; in 1831, 1,843. The population 1773-4 was 162; 1801, 1,677; 1811, 3,081; 1821, 4,234; 1831, 9,624. In 1825 there were four sundayschools, in 1834 6, scholars 1,992; at the latter period 20 dame schools, 12 common, and 7 superior private and boarding, scholars 1,019. There is a national school, date 1832 educating 170 children. The public institutions are a Dispensary, date 1831; the Asylum for Female Penitents, present edifice built 1837, originated 1822,; the Portable Gas Works, erected 1825-6, at a cost of £70,000, now private property; and the Cavalry Barracks, erected prior to 1804, will accomodate 420 men. The yearly value of the property of the township was in 1815, £9,359; 1829, £19,678; 1840, £60,689.
(5) A Statistical Sketch of the County Palatine of Lancaster 1841 by Edwin Butterworth.