Little Hulton (or Peel) is a chapelry and township, in the parish of Deane, South - Eastern division of the county, hundred of Salford, Bolton union and county court district, rural deanery of Bolton, archdeaconry and diocese of Manchester, 4 miles south from Bolton, situated on the Eccles and Wigan branch of the London and North Western railway, and on the old Roman road. The church of St. Paul's is a small plain building, with turret and 1 bell. The register dates from the year [ ]. The living is a vicarage, yearly value £150, with residence and about 11 acres of glebe in the gift of the Right Hon. Lord Kenyon, and held by the Rev. Charles Philip Roberts, M.A., of Trinity College, Oxford. Here is a school - room, licensed for divine service; there are also chapels for Primitive Methodists and Wesleyans, and a National school. Several mines are in operation, and coal is obtained here in abundance. Kenyon Peel Hall, the seat of Lord Kenyon, is situated in this township. Lord Kenyon is lord of the manor. The principal landowners are Lord Kenyon, the Hon. Mr. Cotton, and Mr. Robert Chorlton. The soil and subsoil are various. The land is chiefly in pasture. The acreage is 1,707, of which 10 are water; rateable value, £18,467; the population in 1861 was 3,390, and in 1871 it was 4,805.
(2) Post Office Directory of Lancashire Excluding Manchester 1873