MANCHESTER - GENERAL SUMMARY

1841

General Summary. The town of Manchester may be said to consist of the townships of Manchester, Salford, Hulme, Chorlton-on-Medlock, and Ardwick; extending over an area of 4,538 statute acres. The episcopal places of worship within these limits are 23, and 1 cemetery chapel, total 24; in the two boroughs 31. The dissenters chapels in the town are Wesleyan 13, Independents 11, Wesleyan Association 5, Primitive Methodists 5, General Baptists 4, Baptists 3, Unitarian 3, Bible Christians 3, Presbyterians 3, Independent Methodists 2, Swedenborgian 2, Welsh Methodists 2, Welsh Baptists 2, Methodist New Connexion 2, Friends, Evangelical Friends, Irvingites, Welsh Calvinists, Welsh Independents, and Welsh Wesleyans, 1 each, total chapels 72, inclusive of 5 catholic chapels, and 1 Jews' synagogue, total places of worship 96. The chapels of the dissenters, catholics, &c. in the two boroughs are 79, and inclusive of 3 cemetery chapels 82, total places of worship 113. In 1825 the townships now forming the two boroughs contained 21 episcopal places of worship, 38 dissenters, 3 catholic, and 1 Jews, total 63. In 1836 the town contained 105 cotton mills, which employed 28,913 hands. In 1773-4 the number of houses in the town was 4,391; in 1831, 36,499. In 1773-4 the population of the town was 27,878; 1801, 88,134; 1811, 106,998; 1821, 149,776; 1831, 218,529; present population about 274,000. In 1801 the population of the townships forming the two boroughs was 94,876; 1811, 115,456; 1821, 161,635; 1831, 237,832; present population about 310,000. In 1834-5 the state of education in the two boroughs was as follows : dame schools 295, scholars 6,265; common 221, scholars 8,716; superior private and boarding 143, scholars 3,816; sunday 117, scholars 42,950; infant 8, scholars 1,022; charity and subscription 34, scholars 4,857; evening 114, scholars 1,984; total schools 932, scholars 56,189;-of these 13,421 are returned as attending day, evening, and sunday schools, so that the number receiving sunday school tuition only is 29,529 : the number of children from 5 to 15 uneducated is 20,100. The number of persons destitute of accommodation in places of worship is 90,000. The town contains 10 benevolent institutions, 15 medical, 28 religious, 29 literary, scientific, and educational, 5 municipal, and 3 commercial edifices, 15 places of amusement, and 5 prisons. The value of property in the town in 1815 was 391,582; 1829, 571,144; in the two boroughs 1815, 428,785; 1829, 648,550. The villages and places forming the rural suburbs are Pendlebury, 3 miles N.N.W.; Kersall, 3 N.; Prestwich, 4 N.; Crumpsall 2 N.; Smedley, 1 N.; Longsight, 1 S.; Rusholme, 3 S.; Withington, 4 S.; Didsbury, 6 S.; Moss Side, 2 S.; Old Trafford, 2 S.

(5) A Statistical Sketch of the County Palatine of Lancaster 1841 by Edwin Butterworth.