NEWTON

1830

BANK TOP

Bank Top, a hamlet in the township of Newton, parish of Manchester, hundred of Salford, 2 miles N.E. from Manchester.

COLLYHURST

Collyhurst, a hamlet in the township of Newton, parish of Manchester, hundred of Salford, 1 miles N.E. from Manchester. Here was once a burying ground for the inhabitants of Manchester, when that place was visited by the plague. Collyhurst Hall, the residence of Mrs. Rider, was, about the age of Charles II., the seat of Nicholas Moseley, esq. It was possessed by the late Sir Ashton Lever.

KIRKMANSHULME

Kirkmanshulme, a hamlet in the township of Newton, parish of Manchester, hundred of salford, 3 miles S.E. from Manchester. This place is a detached and insulated portion of the township of Newton, and originally consisted of a large farm, the property of the warden and fellows of the collegiate church at Manchester.

NEWTON

Newton, a chapelry in the parish of Manchester, hundred of Salford, 2 miles N.E. from Manchester. Inhabitants 2577. In this township is Culcheth Hall, the seat of Robert Keymer, esq.

(3) The New Lancashire Gazetteer or Topographical Dictionary 1830