OLDHAM

1830

BROADBENT

Broadbent, a hamlet in the township and parish of Oldham, hundred of Salford, 1 miles N.N.E. from Oldham.

CLARKFIELD

Clarkfield, a hamlet in the township and parish of Oldham cum Prestwich, hundred of Salford, 2 miles E. from Oldham. Clarkfield Place, commanding a delightful prospect, is the seat of James Lees, esq.

COUNT HILL

Count Hill, a hamlet in the township and parish of Oldham, hundred of Salford, 3 miles N.E. from Oldham.

GLODWICK

Glodwick, a hamlet in the township of Oldham, parish of Oldham cum Prestwich, hundred of Salford, 1 mile S.E. from Oldham.

GREENACRE

Greenacre, a hamlet in the township and parish of Oldham, hundred of Salford, 2 miles E. from Oldham.

HOLLINWOOD

Hollinwood, a hamlet in the township of Oldham, parish of Oldham with Prestwich, hundred of Salford, 2 miles S.W. from Oldham. Here is a chapel of ease. Chamber Hall in this village is the seat of W. Moorhouse, esq.

LIMESIDE

Limeside, a hamlet in the township of Oldham, parish of Oldham cum Prestwich, hundred of Salford, 2 miles S.S.W. from Oldham.

LOWER MOOR

Lower Moor, a hamlet in the township and parish of Oldham cum Prestwich, hundred of Salford, 1 mile N.E. from Oldham.

MUMPS

Mumps, a hamlet in the township of Oldham cum Prestwich, hundred of Salford, mile N.E. from Oldham.

OAK

Oak, a hamlet in the township of Oldham, parish of Oldham cum Prestwich, hundred of Salford, 1 mile S.S.W. from Oldham.

OLDHAM

Oldham, a chapelry in the parish of Prestwich, hundred of Salford, 7 miles N.E. from Manchester. Inhabitants 21,662. Fair May 2d, for horned cattle, horses, and sheep. The chapelry of Oldham, though a part of the parish of Prestwich, is entirely separated by the intervening parishes of Middleton and Manchester. It has so completely out - stripped its mother church, in wealth and population, that it now takes precedence, though somewhat improperly, in the population returns. The parochial chapel was of the date 1476; it had been much enlarged at various periods, and contained several monuments of the ancient lords of the manor. Being too small for the numerous population, it has been replaced by a new church, and another is now in progress under the late acts of parliament. St. Peter's Chapel was built in 1765 by voluntary subscription. At Oldham are seven places of worship for various classes of dissenters and Methodists, with schools attached. Here is a Free Grammar School, founded by James Asheton, esq., in 1611. A large sum of money was left by Mr. Henshaw, in 1807, for the endowment of a Blue Coat School; but legal difficulties have hitherto prevented the bequest from being carried into execution. Oldham is pleasantly situated on an eminence, commanding extensive and delightful prospects. The manufacture of Hats was the original staple of the place, and still continues; but that of fustains, with every branch of the cotton business, has been introduced, and flourishes with the greatest prosperity. The numerous streamlets were formerly of great importance in working the machinery, and, though their agency is somewhat superseded by the introduction of steam, they are still of great utility. Oldham enjoys the advantage of abundance of coal, of which a large portion is sent to Manchester. The extent of the chapelry is about 4000 acres; and the soil is in general of excellent quality, consisting chiefly of black loam and clay. Werneth Hall, in this township, is the seat of Edward Lees, esq. Oldham gave birth to Hugh Oldham, bishop of Exeter, a liberal benefactor to Corpus Christi College in Oxford, and who also funded the free grammar school at Manchester, and endowed it with a large revenue : he died in 1519. The chapelry of Oldham has its separate churchwardens : but is still subordinate in some respects to Prestwich. It contains four townships :-

Inhabitants
Chadderton 5124
Crompton 6482
Oldham 21,662
Royton 4933
Entire population 38,201

SHOLVER

Sholver, a hamlet in the township and parish of Oldham, hundred of Salford,3 miles N.E. from Oldham.

STOCKFIELD

Stockfield, a hamlet in the township and parish of Oldham, hundred of Salford, 1 mile W. from Oldham.

(3) The New Lancashire Gazetteer or Topographical Dictionary 1830