Over Hulton is a township, in the parish of Deane, South - Eastern division of the county, hundred of Salford, Bolton union and county court district, 4 miles south - south - west from Bolton. The township is rich in coal mines, and is the sole property of the Hultons, of Hulton Park. The Hall the residence of William Ford Hulton, esq., J. P., is a modern building, having a semicircular wing and portico; the park is tastefully laid out in plantations and pleasure grounds on an extensive scale. The acreage is 1,316, of which 4 are water; rateable value, £6,337; the population in 1871 was 574.
(2) Post Office Directory of Lancashire Excluding Manchester 1873