Pendlebury is a township and village in the parish of Eccles, 4 miles north - west from Manchester, 7 south - east from Bolton, 192 from London, in the South - Eastern division of the county, Salford hundred and union, and county court district, Eccles rural denary, Manchester archdeaconry and diocese, and province of York, situated on the main road from Manchester to Bolton. Clifton junction is the nearest railway station. The Manchester Bolton and Bury canal and the river Irwell pass to the east. The church of St. John is a plain stone building, consisting of chancel, nave, tower with 1 bell, and porch. The register dates from the year 1842. The living is a perpetual curacy, yearly value £290, with residence, in the gift of trustees and held by the Rev. Edward Henry Robson, M.A. of Worcester College, Oxford. Christ Church is a stone building in the Early English style, consisting of chancel nave, and tower with 1 bell. The register dates from the year 1859. The living is a vicarage, yearly value £180, in the gift of the Bishop of Manchester, and held by the Rev. Alfred Dewes D.D., of Queens Collage, Cambridge. There are National schools in connection with St. John's for boys, girls and infants, and the same in connection with Christ Church. Here are collieries, and the cotton manufacture is carried on. The principal landowners are Andrew Knowles and Sons and Edward Heywood, esq. The acreage is 1,031, of which 23 are water; gross estimated rental, £25,193; rateable value, £22,129, the population of the township in 1871 was 5,163. The population of the ecclesiastical district of St. John is 1,973 and of Christ Church 5,769.
(2) Post Office Directory of Lancashire Excluding Manchester 1873