Pendleton, a chapelry in the parish of Eccles, hundred of Salford, 2 miles W.N.W. from Manchester. Inhabitants 5948. The chapel is a neat brick building, with a turret and bell, consecrated in 1776. An additional church under the recent acts is now erecting. Here are two or three chapels for disenters. This township being contiguous to Salford, and pleasantly seated on an elevated ground, is very populous, and contains many excellent houses, the residences of the opulent manufacturers and merchants of Manchester, amongst others may be reckoned Broom House, the seat of James Touchet, esq.; Clermont, the seat of B. A. Heywood, sq.; Highfield Hall, the seat of Mrs. Withington; and Hope House, the seat of Edward Hobson, esq. To the north of the township is Hyle Wood, probably corrupted from Hill Wood, an oblong hillock of sand, supposed to be a Danish tumulus; it was formerly covered with trees.
Bolton, Little, a hamlet in the township of Pendleton, parish of Eccles, hundred of Salford, 3 miles W. from Manchester.
IRLAMS O' THE HEIGHT
Irlams o' the Height, a hamlet in the township of Pendleton, parish of Eccles, hundred of Salford, 3½ miles N.W. from Manchester.
Seeley, a hamlet in the township of Pendleton, parish of Manchester, hundred of Salford, 3 miles W. from Manchester.
(3) The New Lancashire Gazetteer or Topographical Dictionary 1830