PILKINGTON

1830

BESS'S O' THE BARN

Bess's o' the Barn, a hamlet in the township of Pilkington, parish of Prestwich cum Oldham, hundred of Salford, 5 miles N.N.W. from Manchester. 

BLACKFORD BRIDGE

Blackford Bridge, a hamlet in the township of Pilkington, parish of Prestwich cum Oldham, hundred of Salford, 2 S. from Bury.

CINDER HILL

Cinder Hill, a hamlet in the township of Pilkington, parish of Prestwich cum Oldham, hundred of Salford, 7 miles N.W. from Manchester.

HOLLINGHURST

Hollinghurst, a hamlet in the township of Pilkington, parish of Prestwich with Oldham, hundred of Salford, 7 miles N.N.W. from Manchester.

OUTWOOD

Outwood, a hamlet in the township of Pilkington, parish of Prestwich cum Oldham, hundred of Salford, 2 miles W.N.W. from Prestwich.

PILKINGTON

Pilkington, a township in the parish of Prestwich cum Oldham, hundred of Salford, 6 miles N.W. from Manchester. Inhabitants 8976. Pilkington Park is the seat of Robert Phillips, esq.

RINGLEY

Ringley, a hamlet in the township of Pilkington, parish of Prestwich cum Oldham, hundred of Salford, 7 miles N.W. from Manchester. In this place is a chapel of ease.

SANDFIELD

Sandfield, a hamlet in the township of Pilkington, parish of Prestwich cum Oldham, hundred of Salford, 3 miles W. from Middleton.

STAND

Stand, a hamlet in the township of Pilkington, parish of Prestwich cum Oldham, hundred of Salford, 3 miles N. from Prestwich. This is a populous and thriving village. Stand Hall is the seat of the Misses Johnson. A new church, under the late acts, has been erected in this place.

TOP O' TH' BROW

Top o' th' Brow, a hamlet in the township of Outwood, parish of Prestwich cum Oldham, hundred of Salford, 4 miles S.E. from Bolton.

UNSWORTH

Unsworth, a hamlet in the township of Pilkington, parish of Prestwich cum Oldham, hundred of Salford, 3 miles S.S.E. from Bury. Here is a chapel of ease.

WHITEFIELD

Whitefield, a hamlet in the township of Pilkington, parish of Prestwich cum Oldham, hundred of Salford, 6 miles N.N.W. from Manchester. In this place a new church has been erected under the recent acts of Parliament.

(3) The New Lancashire Gazetteer or Topographical Dictionary 1830