RADCLIFFE

1830

HARDMAN'S FOLD

Hardman's Fold, a hamlet in the township and parish of Radcliffe, hundred of Salford, 1 mile S.W. from Bury.

RADCLIFFE

Radcliffe, a parish and township in the hundred of Salford, 7 miles N.W. from Manchester. Inhabitants 3089. A rectory in the archdeaconry of Chester, value 21 5s. Patron the earl of Wilton. The church is a small ancient edifice, and a chapel of ease has within a few years been erected. Radcliffe takes its name from a cliff of red stone; it has somewhat a mean appearance, the houses being of an inferior description. Here was once a park in a warm and low situation on the bank of the Irwell, and the remains of Radcliffe Tower, formerly the seat of the Radcliffe family, prove it to have been a manor house of the first rank; the ancient hall is of wood, with mossy oak uprights and beams, and is supposed to be of as early a date as the reign of Henry IV. In the church, of the same antiquity, an alabaster slab covers the remains of James de Radcliffe, the founder of the mansion. To this place and family are attached the tradition and ballad in Dr. Percy's reliques, entitled The Lady Isabella's Tragedy, in which a cruel stepmother gives orders to her master-cook to take away the life of a hated victim. The servant, in the spirit of his profession, serves up her remains in a pie instead of a white doe. The murder, however, being perpetrated in the presence of a scullion boy, who heroically offered his own life in exchange, the guilty parties were brought to punishment, the lady being burned at the stake and the cook cast into a mass of motlon lead. The invention of the pie must be attributed to the genius of the minstrel, nor is it even ascertained that an heiress of this family was at any time sacrificed to the gealousy and avarice of a stepmother : still less was a scullion boy, as the ballad relates, made the heir of the Radcliffe's. The township and parish are co-extensive.

RADCLIFFE BRIDGE

Radcliffe Bridge, a hamlet partly in the township and parish of Radcliffe, and partly in the township of Pilkington, parish of Prestwich cum Oldham, hundred of Salford, 3 miles S.S.W. from Bury. At this place are fairs April 29th and 30th, the first day for horned cattle and horses, the second day for wool, cloth, and pedlary, also September 28th and 29th in like manner.

(3) The New Lancashire Gazetteer or Topographical Dictionary 1830