Rivington, a chapelry in the parish of Bolton, hundred of Salford, 6 miles N.W. from Bolton. Inhabitants 583. Here is a free grammar school, founded and well endowed by James Pilkington; bishop of Durham, in the reign of queen Elizabeth; the tuition is purely classical. Rivington is noted for a lofty elevation 1545 feet above the level of the sea, on which was anciently the beacon called Rivington Pike, and which was repaired at the time of the alarm of a French invasion. This hill commands a prospect of vast extent, and is much resorted to in the summer season by parties of pleasure. The beacons used along the coast, or on level ground, whose sudden flame would announce the approach of an enemy, were nothing more than strong posts with a frame of iron work at the top, calculated to receive a pot of blazing pitch; but, upon the hills in the north of England, they were of more durable construction, consisting of a small circular enclosure of rude stone, narrowing into a cylinder, on the summit of which was placed a hearth of flat stones to contain the fuel. So late as the reign of Elizabeth the Lancashire beacons were maintained at the expense of the country. Near Rivington Pike, are the Two Lads, being a collection of loose stones in two separate heaps, raised by the country people to commemorate the loss of two young men who perished in the snow. Rivington Hall, the seat of Robert Andrews, esq., for many ages belonged to the Pilkington family, and here was born James Pilkington, in 1520, who died bishop of Durham 1575. He was one of the six divines who corrected the book of common prayer; and he patronised the revival of the Greek tongue at Cambridge.
Wilders Wood, a hamlet in the township of Rivington, parish of Bolton, hundred of Salford, 6 miles W.N.W. from Bolton.
(3) The New Lancashire Gazetteer or Topographical Dictionary 1830