Higginshaw, a hamlet in the township of Royton, parish of Oldham with Prestwich, hundred of Salford, 1 mile N. from Oldham.
Royton, a chapelry in the parish of Prestwich cum Oldham, hundred of Salford, 2 miles N. from Oldham. Inhabitants 4933. This flourishing village contains several cotton factories; it is seated in a deep valley. The soil of the township is dry and sandy, but improvable by the aid of marl as manure, which abounds in the neighbourhood. Three branches of the river Irk take their rise at Royton, and afford a fall for various mills. Here are some quarries of freestone, and coal is found in great abundance. Royton Hall, the property of Sir Joseph Dadcliffe, bart., is a neglected ancient mansion, never remarkable for beauty; it is a strong stone edifice, with a curious heavy circular staircase. The house is remembered for the miraculous preservation of three young ladies and their maid servant, in the year 1790, when a gust of wind blew down two ponderous chimneys upon the roof, and, though the whole wing was utterly crushed by the weight, the parties were taken out of the rubbish having sustained but little injury.
Seamersfield, a hamlet in the township of Royton, parish of Oldham, hundred of Salford, 2 miles N.N.E. from Oldham.
(3) The New Lancashire Gazetteer or Topographical Dictionary 1830