Ordsall, a hamlet in the township of Salford, parish of Manchester, hundred of Salford, 2 miles W. from Manchester. Ordsall Hall, a moated mansion of great antiquity, was once a seat of the Radcliffe family. It has been divided into separate tenements.
Salford, a market town and township in the parish of Manchester, hundred of Salford, seperated from Manchester by the river Irwell. Inhabitants 25,772. Market Saturday. Fairs Whit-Monday for horses, horned cattle, pigs, and toys; and November 17th. for the same : this is commonly called Dirt Fair. Salford, though apparently a part of Manchester, is governed by its own boroughreeve and constables. At the time of Domesday Book it was a royal manor, and, by its having given name to the hundred, was probably of superior importance to Manchester during the Saxon heptarchy. In Leland's time it had, however, subsided into the same relative proportion to Manchester as at present, since he describes it as a large suburb to Manchester, with which place it has ever since "grown with its growth and strengthened with its strength", in somewhat the same degree as Southwark to London. Trinity Church, in Chapel Street, is a neat stone edifice of the Doric order, of the date 1752, with a Gothic tower, built in the beginning of the last century, containing six bells; the church was founded in 1635 by Humphrey Booth, esq.; but, being ill constructed, has been rebuilt. It is a perpetual curacy. Patron Sir Robert Gore Booth, bart. St. Stephen's Church, near Bank Parade, is a handsome brick edifice, consecrated in 1794. It is a perpetual curacy. Patron the heirs of the Rev. N. Cheek, for sixty years after the date of consecration, then the warden and fellows of Christ Church. St. Philip's Church, situated at Whitecross Bank, was built under the recent acts of parliament, and consecrated in 1825; it is a somewhat singular structure of the Ionic order, with a handsome tower, and much resembles the New Church at Camden Town, near London. There are about six chapels belonging to the dissenters, most of which have their schools. The donations and bequests to the poor of Salford have been so extensive as even to diminish the parish rates. Here is also a lying in hospital; but alas the most conspicuous edifice in the town is the New Bailey Prison, for the hundred of Salford, constructed upon Mr. Howard's plan, and opened in 1790. The building is handsome and strong, and necessarily spacious, since it has contained within its walls at one time 1000 prisoners, who are placed under admirable discipline, and are made to earn by labour the cost of their provision : over the entrance is a commodious sessions room. The new market house is ornamental as well as useful, as is the new cloth hall, near the Old Bridge, which is resorted to during the Whit-Monday fair by the Yorkshire dealers. The infantry barracks, in the Regent's Road, are convenient, and will afford quarters for 1000 men. But the principal attraction of Salford is the creascent, which commands a rich view of rural scenery, through which the Irwell meanders : from the lofty and peculiar site of the Crescent, the prospect can never be interrupted by buildings.
Throstlenest, a hamlet in the township of Salford, parish of Manchester, hundred of Salford, 2 miles W. from Manchester.
(3) The New Lancashire Gazetteer or Topographical Dictionary 1830