Salford, a hundred bounded on the north by the hundred of Blackburn, on the west by the hundreds of Leyland and West Derby, on the south by the rivers Mersey and Tame, and on the east by Yorkshire. It contains five market towns, ten entire parishes, and a part of two others, comprising 102 townships, 78,357 houses, and 475,096 inhabitants. The hundred of Salford, after the metropolis, is the most thickly peopled district in the kingdom, though the soil is not generally fertile, and it contains several uncultivated moors and sterile morasses; coal, however, is abundant, and the plentiful supply of that important fossil has brought into existence workships and factories through almost every township and supplied materials for human industry in every village. Canals, excavated in every direction, have also contributed to the universal intercourse; the country in general is flat, but on the Yorkshire side are some hills of considerable elevation, and the course of the rivers Irk and Irwell, north of Manchester, are distinguished by high and steep banks. At the original division of parishes in England, Salford was thinly peopled, which accounts for their small number in this now crowded district. Few of the great landed proprietors reside in their ancient halls and mansions, having sought a retreat in counties where land was less valuable, and rural enjoyment were less disturbed by the encroachments and bustle of manufacturing occupations.
(3) The New Lancashire Gazetteer or Topographical Dictionary 1830