SPOTLAND

1830

BAGSLATE

Bagslate, a hamlet in the township of Spotland, further side, parish of Rochdale, hundred of Salford, 2 miles W. from Rochdale.

BANK HOUSE

Bank House, a hamlet in the township of Spotland, parish of Rochdale, hundred of Salford, 2 miles N.W. from Rochdale.

BRANDWOODSIDE

Brandwoodside, a hamlet in the township of Spotland, parish of Rochdale, hundred of Salford, 5 miles N. From Rochdale.

BROADHAIGH

Broadhaigh, a hamlet in the township of Spotland, parish of Rochdale, hundred of Salford, 1 mile W.S.W. from Rochdale.

BROADLEY

Broadley, a hamlet in the township of Spotland, parish of Rochdale, hundred of Salford, 2 miles N.N.W. from Rochdale.

BROTHEROYD

Brotheroyd, a hamlet in the township of Spotland, parish of Rochdale, hundred of Salford, 1 mile N.W. from Rochdale.

CHEESDEN

Cheesden, a hamlet in the township of Spotland, parish of Rochdale, hundred of Salford, 4 miles N.W. from Rochdale.

CUTGATE

Cutgate, a hamlet in the township of Spotland, parish of Rochdale, hundred of Salford, 1 mile W. from Rochdale.

FALINGE

Falinge, a hamlet in the township of Spotland, parish of Rochdale, hundred of Salford, mile N. from Rochdale. Mount Falinge is the seat of James Royds, esq.

HALL FOLD

Hall Fold, a hamlet in the township of Spotland, parish of Rochdale, hundred of Salford, 3 miles N.N.W. from Rochdale.

HEALEY

Healey, a hamlet in the township of Spotland, parish of Rochdale, hundred of Salford, 2 miles N.N.W. from Rochdale. Here was Healey Hall, the ancient mansion of the Chadwick family, standing on elevated ground, and commandinga rich and beautiful prospect.

HOWARTH BRIDGE

Howarth Bridge, a hamlet in the toenship of Spotland, parish of Rochdale, hundred of Salford, 1 miles from Rochdale.

KNOWL

Knowl, a hamlet in the township of Spotland, parish of Rochdale, hundred of Salford, 4 miles from Bury. Near this place is a considerable elevation called Knowl Hill.

LANE SIDE

Lane Side, a hamlet in the township of Spotland, parish of Rochdale, hundred of Salford, 3 miles W.N.W. from Rochdale.

ROCKCLIFFE

Rockcliffe, a hamlet in the township of Spotland, parish of Rochdale, hundred of Salford, 6 miles N. from Rochdale.

ROWLEY

Rowley, a hamlet in the township of Spotland, parish of Rochdale, hundred of Salford, 4 miles N.N.W. from Rochdale. The manor house here is a plain strong dwelling, with the date upon it 1593. The situation is warm and sequestered, environed by rising oak woods : it was long the property and residence of the Halstead family. To the north is the wild and dreary district called Rowley Moor.

SHAW CLOUGH

Shaw Clough, a hamlet in the township of Spotland, parish of Rochdale, hundred of Salford, 1 mile N. from Rochdale.

SHAW FIELD

Shaw Field, a hamlet in the township of Spotland, parish of Rochdale, hundred of Salford, 2 miles N.W. from Rochdale.

SHAWFORTH

Shawforth, a hamlet in the township of Spotland, parish of Rochdale, hundred of Salford, 4 miles N. from Rochdale.

SLACK

Slack, a hamlet in the township of Spotland, parish of Rochdale, hundred of Salford, 6 miles N. from Rochdale.

SPOTLAND

Spotland, a township in the parish of Rochdale, hundred of Salford, forming part of the town of Rochdale to the north. Inhabitants 13,453. Spotland contains a large portion of land, formerly belonging to the abbey of Whalley. The manor, after the dissolution, was granted to the Holt family, in which it continued above a century. From its great extent, this township is divided into two districts, called Spotland Further Side, and Spotland Nearer Side.

TONG END FOLD

Tong End Fold, a hamlet in the township of Spotland, parish of Rochdale, hundred of Salford, 3 miles N. from Rochdale.

WHITWORTH

Whitworth, a hamlet in the township of Spotland, parish of Rochdale, hundred of Salford, 3 miles N. from Rochdale. A chapel was built here in the reign of Henry VIII.; but, having fallen to decay, it was re-edified in 1795. Patron Mr. Starkie and others. Whitworth has been celebrated as the residence of Messrs. Taylors, known throughout the kingdom as the Whitworth doctors. It is to their praise that they were described by a contemporary physician. Dr. Aikin, "as chiefly noted for setting broken and dislocated bones, and for the cure of cancerous and other tumours by caustics, properly termed by themselves keen. Not fewer than a hundred persons have annually taken lodgings to be under their care. With very reasonable charges realized handsome fortunes, which they enjoyed with the general esteem of their neighbours".

WOOD HOUSE

Wood House, a hamlet in the township of Spotland, parish of Rochdale, hundred of Salford, 3 miles N.W. from Rochdale.

WOOLSTENHOLME

Woolstenholme, a hamlet in the township of Spotland, parish of Rochdale, hundred of Salford, 3 miles N.W. from Rochdale.

(3) The New Lancashire Gazetteer or Topographical Dictionary 1830