TOTTINGTON LOWER END

1830

HOLCOMBE

Holcombe, a hamlet in the township of Tottington Lower End, parish of Bury, hundred of Salford, 4 miles N.N.W. from Bury. Here is a chapel of ease.

HOLCOMBE BROOK

Holcombe Brook, a hamlet in the township of Tottington Lower End, parish of Bury, hundred of Salford, 3 mile N.N.W. from Bury. This place takes its name from a small rivulet here called Holcombe, which falls into the Irwell.

NUTTALL

Nuttall, a hamlet in the township of Tottington Lower End, parish of Bury, hundred of Salford, 3 miles N. from Bury. Nuttall Hall is the seat of John Grant, esq.

RAMSBOTTOM

Ramsbottom, a hamlet in the township of Tottington Lower End, parish of Bury, hundred of Salford, 4 miles N. from Bury.

TOTTINGTON LOWER END

Tottington Lower End, a chapelry in the parish of Bury, hundred of Salford, 2 miles N.W. from Bury. Inhabitants 7333. The two Tottingtons compose what is called the royal manor of Tottington. It was a part of the honour of Clitheroe, and to its court the possessors of the manors of Bury, Middleton, Chadderton, and Alkrington, still owe suit and service. This tract of country, which may be called appennine, stretches five miles on or near the banks of the Irwell and far up the sides of the adjacent hills.

WALSHAW

Walshaw, a hamlet in the township of Tottington Lower End, parish of Bury, hundred of Salford, 2 miles N.W. from Bury.

WOOLFOLD

Woolfold, a hamlet in the township of Tottington Lower End, parish of Bury, hundred of Salford, 2 miles N.W. from Bury.

(3) The New Lancashire Gazetteer or Topographical Dictionary 1830