TURTON

1830

DUNSCAR

Dunscar, a hamlet in the township of Turton, parish of Bolton, hundred of Salford, 3 miles N. from Bolton le Moors.

TURTON

Turton, a chapelry in the parish of Bolton, hundred of Salford, 4 miles N. from Bolton. Inhabitants 2090. Patron Mrs Frere. In this township is Turton Tower, now attached to a farm house, consisting of four stories, with an embattled parapet. In Camden's time it belonged to the family of Orrell, and subsequently to the Chethams.

WALMSLEY CHAPEL

Walmsley Chapel, a hamlet in the township of Turton, parish of Bolton, hundred of Salford, 4 miles N. from Bolton. Here is a chapel of ease to Bolton.

WOOD END

Wood End, a hamlet in the township of Turton, parish of Bolton, hundred of Salford, 4 miles N. from Bolton.

(3) The New Lancashire Gazetteer or Topographical Dictionary 1830