WALMERSLEY AND SHUTTLEWORTH

1830

BALDERSTONE

Balderstone, a hamlet in the township of Walmersley, parish of Bury, hundred of Salford, 2 miles N. from Bury.

BANK LANE

Bank Lane, a hamlet in the township of Walmersley, parish of Bury, hundred of Salford, 4 miles N. from Bury.

COB HURST

Cob Hurst, a hamlet in the township of Walmersley, parish of Bury, hundred of Salford, 3 miles N.N.E. from Bury.

MOUNT PLEASANT

Mount Pleasant, a hamlet in the township of Walmersley, parish of Bury, hundred of Salford, 2 miles N. from Bury.

PARK

Park, a hamlet in the township of Walmersley, parish of Bury, hundred of Salford, 4 miles N. from Bury.

PIG'S LEY

Pig's Ley, a hamlet in the township of Walmersley,  parish of Bury, hundred of Salford, 3 miles N. from Bury.

SHUTTLEWORTH

Shuttleworth, a hamlet in the township of Walmersley, parish of Bury, hundred of Salford, 6 miles N. from Bury. Near this village is Wittle Hill, whose elevation is 1614 feet above the level of the sea.

WALMERSLEY

Walmersley, a township in the parish of Bury, hundred of Salford, 2 miles N. from Bury. Inhabitants 3290. Spring Side, in this township, is the seat of William Grant, esq. Here were formerly some remains of earth works, supposed to have been thrown up by the parliamentary army when besieging the old castle of Bury, in 1644.

(3) The New Lancashire Gazetteer or Topographical Dictionary 1830