Worsley (with the hamlets of Newton, Little Houghton, Booths Town, and Ellenbrook Chapel) is a township and village, and ecclesiastical parish, formed out of the parishes of Eccles and Deane, in 1847 and 1863, 6½ miles south of Barton, 7 north – west from Manchester, 6 east from Leigh, and 195 from London, in the South Eastern division of the county, Salford hundred, Barton – upon – Irwell union, Salford county court district, Eccles rural deanery, Manchester archdeaconry and diocese, and province of York. In 1863 the parish was enlarged by the addition of Ellenbrook, Booths Town, and Mather’s Fold. The Bridgewater canal passes through the village, and the London and North Western railway has a station there. The church of St. Mark is a Gothic stone building, erected in 1846: it has chancel, nave, aisles, porch, a very handsome lofty spire beautifully proportioned, and 3 bells : it was designed by Sir George Gilbert Scott, R.A., and is considered one of his best conceptions : it holds 800 persons, and the seats are all free. The register dates from the year 1848. The living is a perpetual curacy, yearly value £300, with residence, in the gift of the Earl of Ellesmere, and held by the Rev. the Earl of Mulgrave; the Rev. E. J. Wrottesley, B.A. is the curate. There are National schools for boys and girls; and there is a Sunday school held at the school – rooms. There are chapels for Wesleyans. There are extensive collieries belonging to the Earl of Ellesmere, and the Bridgewater Trustees, and the manufacture of cotton is carried on. Here is the entrance of that splendid and ramifying subterranean navigation, the Duke of Bridgewater’s tunnel which runs upwards of 6 miles in a direct line to the north – west; from the addition of the upper tunnel, and the various windings throughout the works, a navigation of about 40 miles in extent is effected, all which is continuous and on a level with the coal, which goes to the great depot of merchandise, and the docks at Runcorn : it is an object highly worthy of being visited by all who are curious in the geology of coal mines, and by all admirers of the labourer and ingenuity of man. In the centre of the village is the Town Hall, a modern building; there is also a Subscription Reading Room and Library. The poor have £85 yearly in clothing for Dame Leigh’s Charity, derived from coal mines. Worsley Hall, is the seat of the Earl of Ellesmere; the style is of the most florid Elizabethan character, and of modern erection. The trustees of the Duke of Bridgewater are lords of the manor, and the Earl of Ellesmere is chief landowner. The soil is clayey; and the subsoil is gravel. The chief crops are wheat and oats. The acreage is 6,928, of which 48 are water; grass estimated rental £49,927; rateable value, £41,870; the population of the township of Worsley in 1861 was 11,875, and in 1871 15,837. The population of St. Marks, Worsley, is 3,284.
Newton is a hamlet of Worsley township, in Eccles parish, 3 miles north – east from Worsley, on the road from Bolton to Manchester. The cotton manufacture is carried on here, and there is an iron foundry.
Ellenbrook is 3 miles north –
west from Worsley; here is a chapel in the Norman style; it is a donative of the
Earl of Ellesmere; the minister of this chapel has three – fourths of the income
of Dame D. Leigh’s Charity of Middle Hulton; the minister’s income is now about
£380, principally derived from coal mines now being worked.
Booths Town is a hamlet of
Worsley, 1½ miles west.
Swinton is a hamlet and village, and an ecclesiastical parish in the township of Worsley, separated from the ancient parish of Eccles in 1865; it is 4¾ miles north - west from Manchester, 6 south - east from Bolton, and 194 from London, in Salford hundred and county court district, Barton - upon - Irwell union, and Manchester archdeaconry and diocese. The church of St. Peter was built in 1869, on the site of a previous church : it is a fine stone building in the Gothic style of the sixteenth century, and comprises chancel, nave, north and south aisles, tower 112 feet in height containing 8 bells a fine organ, and some good stained glass windows : it will accommodate 900 : the architect was Mr. G. E. Street, R.A. The register dates from the year 1792. The living is a vicarage, yearly value £450, with Residence, in the gift of the vicar of Eccles, and held by, the Rev. Henry Robinson Heywood, M.A., of Trinity College, Cambridge. There is a Day school in connection with the church, for boys, girls, and infants; also a Day school for infants, held in Holyrood school church, near Moorside, which is used for Divine service, one of the curates officiating. Also the Manchester Industrial schools are situated here; and there is a Sunday school held in the school - room. There are chapels for Wesleyans. The manufacture of cotton is carried on here, and there are brickfields. The principal land owners are Andrew Knowles and Sons. The soil is clayey, and the subsoil is rock. The population in 1871, including the schools, was 7,967.
(2) Post Office Directory of Lancashire Excluding Manchester 1873