WUERDLE AND WARDLE

1830

BRIDGE GREEN

Bridge Green, a hamlet in the township of Wuerdle, with Wardle, parish of Rochdale, hundred of Salford, 2 miles N.E. from Rochdale.

CROOK

Crook, a hamlet in the township of Wuerdale cum Wardle, parish of Rochdale, hundred of Salford, 4 miles N. from Rochdale.

DEARNLEY

Dearnley, a hamlet in the township of Wardle, parish of Rochdale, hundred of Salford, 2 miles N.E. from Rochdale.

GREEN ROAD

Green Road, a hamlet in the township of Wuerdale and Wardle, parish of Rochdale, hundred of Salford, 2 miles N.E. from Whitworth.

SHAW, OR STUD SHAW

Shaw, or Stud Shaw, a hamlet in the township of Wuerdale and Wardle, parish of Rochdale, hundred of Salford, 1 mile N.E. from Rochdale.

SMALL BRIDGE

Small Bridge, a hamlet in the township of Wuerdale and Wardle, parish of Rochdale, hundred of Salford, 2 miles N.E. from Rochdale.

STUBLEY

Stubley, a hamlet in the township of Wuerdale and Wardle, parish of Rochdale, hundred of Salford, 3 miles S.E. from Rochdale. Here is a manor house built with stone, with much carving in wood, belonging to the Holt family; it was abandoned as a mansion about the year 1640.

WARDLE

Wardle, a township with Wuerdale, in the parish of Rochdale, hundred of Salford, 3 miles N.N.E. from Rochdale. Inhabitants 5629. In this township are the three hamlets of High Wardle, Little Wardle, and Brown Wardle.

WUERDALE

Wuerdale, a township with Wardle in the parish of Rochdale, hundred of Salford, 1 mile N.E. from Rochdale. Inhabitants 5629. A chapel of ease under the recent acts, is erecting in this township.

(3) The New Lancashire Gazetteer or Topographical Dictionary 1830